Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

141 - 160 of 179 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you have a CVT, you need the CVT cover as it has the cutouts for the paddle shifters.

When installing the little trim piece at the base of the airbag, I put a couple of washers in there and it lifted the part up so that it's even with the airbag, and not sunk into the back part so much.

·
Premium Member
2015 Forester XT Touring
1,421 Posts
Do you have a picture of that? I'd like to see how it looks. If it looks much better, I'll take it back apart to do the same.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Do you have a picture of that? I'd like to see how it looks. If it looks much better, I'll take it back apart to do the same.
Here's a picture. I still want to try and heat then bend the trim piece a little bit to make it match the bottom of the airbag a little better... (I also added a little material onto the edge underneath the airbag since the WRX airbag is smaller in size) I also put some black felt in the gap at the bottom of the trim piece and a little on the sides.

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Touring
574 Posts
Easy job. Will need to go back and redo the plastic trim as it sticks out way too much for my tastes. Would have done it today, but had to move on to the rear sway bar install before heading out to my weekly car meet. :)

·
Registered
2014 Forester CVT
14 Posts
If you have a CVT, you need the CVT cover as it has the cutouts for the paddle shifters.

When installing the little trim piece at the base of the airbag, I put a couple of washers in there and it lifted the part up so that it's even with the airbag, and not sunk into the back part so much.
what about if you don't have the XT version? I meant does it work for 2.5 versions?

·
Registered
2015 Forester CVT
42 Posts
Seems the installation photos are missing in this thread. Does anyone have them, or know them being at another location?

I just purchased a 2015 XT leather wheel for my 2015 Premium and would like to do this swap.

Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
It's pretty straightforward, so not sure how much pictures will help. The most annoying part is removing the airbag - look at the frame for the new steering wheel to see where you have to push with a screwdriver to release the spring clips that hold the airbag. For the connector, you need to pull on a little tab to release it, iirc. When removing the wheel nut, I didn't need a breaker bar - just a ratchet. When removing the steering wheel, as you are pulling it off, sort of wiggle it back and forth (maybe forward and back on each side is a better description - you don't turn the wheel) If you had the wheel centered, the clock spring shouldn't move.

I had a couple of the pictures, so I am attaching them here. It's pretty simple to do the swap, and is the same procedure for any of the Subaru's with this wheel frame design (Forester, 10-14 Legacy, 15+ WRX/STi)

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Also - if you don't have the switch assembly on the lower left corner of the wheel (I think the Foresters all do - but just in case) you can patch the hole where the switch goes by using a piece from your old steering wheel back - also, since the airbag is longer than the WRX/STi bag, you can extend the edge a little bit with chunks from the old back as well - pic below shows what I did (I did the install in a '12 Legacy GT, which doesn't have the switch)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2015 Forester XT Touring
1,421 Posts
Also, for informative purposes, if you have a 2017+ Forester, this swap WILL NOT work. The wheel design changed for 2017, and with it, all hope of STI goodness.

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT CVT
19 Posts
Would aftermarket STI steering wheels also work??

So I'm a little late to the discussion and I'm sure it's been asked before but, is there any way to get the pictures that no longer seem available on the original post?

Also, since the OEM STI steering wheel works, would aftermarket ones also work? Subispeed has several house brand steering wheels which are nice, so I'm wondering if we just follow the directions here, would they still be able to work on the Forester if we get that WRX back cover?

Btw, happy thanksgiving!

·
Premium Member
2016 XT Touring CVT
682 Posts
98211VA010VH is the airbag module...
34342VA010 is the lower plate...
WRX Back Cover - 34317VA010
STI Steering Wheel - 34312VA021VH

sorted through the post but didn't see it.... it costs about 575 for the airbag module... that's if you want it perfect... the FXT module is bigger than the STI so it overlaps on the sides (you'll have a lip sticking out) and the bottom... you'll also have to trim the WRX back to fit the FXT lower plate)

Now, if you are a perfectionist, you'll need the mod and the lower plate... the part I have listed is the STI one... I believe the WRX is non-branded or branded with WRX (I don't know)

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Touring
574 Posts
So... went to swap in an STI airbag so I could also have the STI lower plastic piece on my wheel and I seem to have messed things up. One thing I didn't pay attention to this time was the clockspring. Does anyone know the way to reset it?
Lights showing are ABS, stability control and x-mode (car on incline) symbols. Can honk the horn, adjust volume and station and change driving modes. Cruise control not functioning.

·
Registered
2015 Forester CVT
9 Posts
I have a 2015 Forester Premium with CVT and installed the STI steering wheel part # 34312VA021VH and Lower Cover # 34317VA010. It seems the original installation instructions here were for a swap into an XT and I am guessing the XT has a trim piece on the bottom spoke of the wheel that my non-XT doesn't have. Trying to find the trim piece I need..... is this what I need:

Lower Cover - 2015 Subaru Forester (34342FJ000)

https://parts.subaruonlineparts.com/subaru/forester/34342fj000/2015-year/2-0xt-premium-trim/2-0l-h4-gas-engine/steering-cat/steering-wheel-and-trim-scat/?part_name=lower-cover

Attachments

·
Registered
2014 Forester Ltd. CVT
1,785 Posts
Don't have the answer; but am doing this for a 2.5i limited; so wondering the same thing. Any update?

I have a 2015 Forester Premium with CVT and installed the STI steering wheel part # 34312VA021VH and Lower Cover # 34317VA010. It seems the original installation instructions here were for a swap into an XT and I am guessing the XT has a trim piece on the bottom spoke of the wheel that my non-XT doesn't have. Trying to find the trim piece I need..... is this what I need:

Lower Cover - 2015 Subaru Forester (34342FJ000)

https://parts.subaruonlineparts.com/subaru/forester/34342fj000/2015-year/2-0xt-premium-trim/2-0l-h4-gas-engine/steering-cat/steering-wheel-and-trim-scat/?part_name=lower-cover

141 - 160 of 179 Posts