Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

121 - 140 of 179 Posts

·
Registered
2015 XT Premium CVT
57 Posts
Hi guys, i am verrry interested in this steering swap, i wanted to get the sti steering, regarding the parts number, what is the difference in

34312VA020VH and 34312VA021VH ?

My car is 2014 FTX A/T so i need to get the wrx rear cover?

34317VA010 am i right?

Can i use my original rear cover with some trimming / sanding?

Or tottaly different shape, which have to get the wrx rear cover?

Thank you

@fetherlite, the Forester rear cover is shorter than the WRX rear cover buy ~1". I bought the kit from SubaruOnlineParts and it comes with the WRX rear cover.

steering wheel kit

·
Registered
Ford Focus
13 Posts
So here's a quick tutorial on how to do this, it's pretty easy, should take only 30mins or so if you're used to wrenching on your car.
Hi Flash Engineer - cannot see the photos in your original post at all now. I have tried different browsers -no go at all.

Is there somewhere else you have posted the "HOWTO" with pictures and all?

·
Registered
'19 WRX 6 MT
24 Posts
Thank you!

Excellent write up that made this swap very straightforward. By far the hardest part for me was the first real step of popping off the airbag. Once that was done, the process was very simple. Thanks again for the instructions with pictures.

BTW, poster above me complained about the images in the instructions not working for them. I had no issues like that myself - they all seemed to be working for me.

·
Registered
2016 Forester
17 Posts
for the 2.5i premium drivers

You will require 34342FJ000 which is the cover spoke and the screw 34336FA000
For the steering wheel cover for 6 speed foresters the part number is 34317VA000

I am doing a custom upholstery and wrapping the steering wheel would have turned out not as perfect as I wanted so I put
the wrx steering wheel into my 2.5i premium. Problem solved :)

here is a pic of it in the 2016 fozzy

On the 2016 2.5, the procedure is the same as stated in the first post? connectors and all?

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT Premium CVT
30 Posts
Curious if anyone has the part number for the STI wheel with the blue stitching or if that's even possible to get (for a reasonable price, anyway)?

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT CVT
363 Posts
I just did this install in my '15 FXT. drove about a week with the forester back cover but got pretty annoyed at the gaps almost "cutting" into my hands so i ordered the wrx back cover. now it all fits like OEM.
Is that an OEM STI steering wheel or aftermarket. Can you provide the part number? It is the best looking one I've seen so far.

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Premium 6 Speed
693 Posts

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Premium CVT
1 Posts
So, whats everyone doing with their stock steering wheels? If anyone wants to sell their leather stock one I would be very interested. Cant stand the plastic one on my stock 2.5i.

Edit: Thanks to Arjay, got my leather wheel. Thanks!

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT Premium CVT
30 Posts
thanks for the link @aeoporta.

Am I correct in my thinking that the Damd wheel is not the same as the OEM wheel of the Hyperblue STI? Looking at the two wheels they look slightly different. I'd like to stick with the OEM STI wheel; love the blue stitching but wouldn't say no to red.

·
Registered
'19 WRX 6 MT
24 Posts
thanks for the link @aeoporta.

Am I correct in my thinking that the Damd wheel is not the same as the OEM wheel of the Hyperblue STI? Looking at the two wheels they look slightly different. I'd like to stick with the OEM STI wheel; love the blue stitching but wouldn't say no to red.
It appears to me, and I am no expert, that the DAMD wheels listed on the SubySpeed website are aftermarket, while the one listed by Subaru Parts Online are the factory WRX/STI wheel.

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT
25 Posts
Just installed the STI wheel last night. Took about 45 minutes and was really straightforward thanks to this write-up. As others have mentioned, the hardest part was releasing the airbag.

So, whats everyone doing with their stock steering wheels? If anyone wants to sell their leather stock one I would be very interested. Cant stand the plastic one on my stock 2.5i.
If you are still interested, I now have a steering wheel with ~200 miles on it. I will shoot you a PM as well.

R

·
Registered
2014 forester 2.0 xt cvt
46 Posts
Review after instalation

Hi

Would like to share on my experience, i bought the 2014 sti steering and the wrx back cover, the instalation is easy you dont have to do anything, because i bring to subaru hehehehe paid about us$7for the labour job.

Ok the gear teeth alignment is 1 teeth off, so its either to 5 oclock or 7 oclock, you cant get 6 oclock. But i choose the closer ones and bring to alignment shop and adjust it. Cost $17

Second is the "gap" below, by just looking it looks perfect, but you will feel the gap is there when you start driving, the gap is a little wider than normal, but i just leave it and did not cut the pointed plastic as if is flexible enough.

Ok lastly might be a liitle paranoid to some users, other than the shape is D, when your hand is at the D area, you cant fully grip the ring of the steering wheel, at first i wonder whats wrong with the design, then i realise because the back wrx cover angle is directly inline with your steering wheel, since in wrx it has bigger silver spacer below the cover (sorry i dont know the name) so the back cover actually not touching the steering wheel but to the silver spacer. Before i instal it no one mention, but those who want to change can consider first because this part anoys me half. Anyway i bought the steering and the back cover online for us$678 with shipping, since in my country subaru closed its dealer zzzzz �� Sad. Only servicing is still running.

Sorry for my bad english. Use goole translate might help. ��

Lastly, subaru should have put that sti steering on forester xt for original equipment! It look great, But ofcos not with the wrx cover .........

·
Registered
2016 Forester
17 Posts
Just installed this a few minutes ago with nothing more than a flash light lighting the way lol.

Install it pretty easy if you read through the tutorial but I overlooked the spoke cover part of this thread. I did this on a 2016 2.5 premium with a 2015 WRX steering wheel I bought on Ebay.

When I put the airbag back on the wrx front spoke cover is obviously too big and the bottom air bag clip does not engage. I then read the thread again and realized I needed the sti style cover or the forester xt cover (FAIL!).

With the gap issue with the STI part I am going to try to just cut the WRX cover to get a closer fit and see how the goes. I am going to use the airbag as a template to get the same lines along the spoke cover.

Also I was having a hard time getting the right side airbag release to pop off by putting the screw driver in the hole on the back cover. What I found to be easier was to pop the left and bottom releases and then gently pry up on the airbag and using the screw driver between the bottom of the airbag and the steering wheel I was able to reach that clip easier.

·
Premium Member
2015 Forester XT Touring
1,421 Posts
Got my wheel in thanks to this thread. Great write-up. Those pins were a pain, as I didn't really understand how they worked. I was under the impression that I needed to remove the clips in order for it to pop out. To clarify, you only need to push the straight side of it via the access holes, and it will allow the airbag to pop out.

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT
30 Posts
Finding the clips the first time is a pain in the butt. When you are trying to do it have the new wheel with you. I placed the new wheel on top of the stock one so I could visualize where the clips were and how I had to move them. Once I did this I was able to get to them rather easy.

Of course when I finished I forgot to put the little sliver cover in the bottom. Taking the air bag out the second time was so much easier.

121 - 140 of 179 Posts