Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Forester 2.0 AWD
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.I own a 2006 Subaru Forester 2.0X(european version/158hp)naturally aspirated.I am curious if i can turn my aspirated engine in a turbo one.The EJ20 which is mounted on 2006 X,is also in turbo boosted edition on 2003-2005 Forester or on the 'Bugeye" Impreza.I want to know if I can make an engine swap ,mounting an EJ20turbo on my car,or if I can make my own engine turbo.
If I will try to modify my engine,which parts I should change,and how much it will cost(approximate price).I am not sure if I must change my transmission or the gearbox,taking in consideration that the power of the turbo engine is bigger than the aspirated's one.
Sadly,my engine has around 250.000 km(155.000 miles) on it.I would try to reconditionate it,but I'm worried that if it will get serious damages after my turbo conversion(It won't resist too much).

Thank you in advance for your answers.

·
Registered
2008 Forester XT Sport 4EAT
1,663 Posts
Your current engine is higher compression than the turbo-varieties that are also 2.0L, so forced induction is a bit more risky. It can be done, it's expensive and it tends to drastically shorten the life of the motor.

Most guys that look into it seriously realize that doing a full engine swap is cheaper and easier. A full car swap is by far the easiest.

Also, there are less options for tuning your NA ECU for the changes, so that's another thing that makes a swap easier.

If you have an automatic transmission, you'll probably be ok with the increased power, if you have a manual transmission, you'll probably want to upgrade that as well.

G

·
I'm in the process of boosting my NA. Go over to RS25, they have more experience in boosting the NA motors and are more open to that than some people are here. It's safe if you run less than 8psi or so, but any mod can reduce reliability to some extent. If one part is strong it puts more pressure on another part, etc.

·
Registered
2014 forester XT touring CVT
1,660 Posts
Sell it and buy a stock turbo one. That's a headache in the making and not a simple swap

·
Registered
2002 ES300
4,412 Posts
Talk to 2.5x_sleeper (Bobby). He has done a turbo conversion. Although his is a 2.5, I'm sure he learned plenty and is willing to share his knowledge.

·
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,469 Posts
His recommendation every time this comes up is basically not to. He has way more time and money into the car than would be considered "wise", but that is the type of thing he enjoys. I get it; I did an H6 swap. It's a lot of work for little more than a few extra HP. The chances of you making it to 200hp is not great. FWIW, full swaps are getting pretty common place and now that WRX's are plentiful and cheap, it can be done for a reasonable price. I've seen swaps done for < $1k after selling off all the parts not used from a donor car. Then you'll have a motor that was made for boost.

·
Premium Member
2014 2.0 XT yes
2,752 Posts
I haven't turbocharged a NA Subaru engine, but I have done it to an SR20DE a few years ago, which has a close turbo sibling, the SR20DET. Instead of using parts from a turbo donor, or a kit, I cobbled it together from lots of bits and pieces, and fabricated the rest.

Some thoughts on the process:

* It was a lot more work than I anticipated.
* It cost a lost more than an engine-swap, and it wasn't as well engineered, because I'm not an engineer with the resources of a car manufacturer.
* I was constantly tinkering with it.
* You will probably break something. It might be a something small, and easy to repair. It might be expensive. In my case, it was pistons. The repair alone cost more than an engine swap.
* You must buy proper equipment to tune the engine, or get someone else to do it for you (see previous point as to why).
* The first dyno plot was a disappointment, leading to more changes.

* The car (Infiniti G20) was totally unique, and a blast to drive.
* The whole journey was super frustrating and super rewarding at the same time. I learned a ton. It made the the car-guy I am today. I also made sure my next car was turbocharged from the factory.
* This should be no way read as discouragement.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 Forester XT
15,021 Posts
I haven't turbocharged a NA Subaru engine, but I have done it to an SR20DE a few years ago, which has a close turbo sibling, the SR20DET. Instead of using parts from a turbo donor, or a kit, I cobbled it together from lots of bits and pieces, and fabricated the rest.
But to be truthful the SR20DE with only pistons has been tricked out to 550+ HP. (up from 160). Its an amazing engine(as you know) built to turbo. Can't compare the Subaru to it. Just saying.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
41,409 Posts
If the OP wants "boost", I'm going to say the most economical way to get it is to buy an XT. :frown:

I'm not saying you can't boost a naturally aspirated engine. Anything is possible if you have the money, time & skills to invest in the project. My '03 X, passed on to my son, has been running an AVO turbo kit for over 9 years with no problems caused by running the recommended <6 psi of boost. :wink:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
2006 2006 & 2010 Forester automatic
2,245 Posts
I've boosted two cars, both with a supercharger.

One was an MG MGB. Of course those cars have so much support, and prior know how, you screw it up...it is on you.

The other is a Miata. Same story.

The equal story in both, and here, is knowing how much boost you can use...and how to tune it.

It took 9 months to get the MGB right. Adding the supercharger took 6 hours. For 6 months it couldn't leave the driveway under its own power.

The Miata I took a different approach. Payed the money for a known kit. Took two 8hr days, but it was turn-key once buttoned up.

Neither supercharger provided more than 7psi.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
2014 2.0 XT yes
2,752 Posts

·
Registered
2006 2006 & 2010 Forester automatic
2,245 Posts
For my own benefit(since I prefer them), is there a supercharger kit for Subaru?

I would assume there is. And those are an easier mod...and less future maintenance. Especially if a screw type is used.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2002 ES300
4,412 Posts
Pigboat and forester06x have added superchargers. I think they chose 2 different models of superchargers too.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 Forester XT
15,021 Posts
It's a stout engine. After this happened, I drove it home. Still was making lots of boost: .
I have the SR20DE on my 01 Sentra. It has 120K miles on the clock and I think it will live forever.
[/hijack thread]

1 - 16 of 16 Posts