Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Forester
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I learn so much off this site, that I decided to post something that I learned recently.
If you have the stock 6 cd changer stereo that comes with the 2006 Subaru Forester, I've found a quick easy way to get an ipod jack from it.
The only way I've found before is a mod where you patch into the cd line and play a silent cd while listening to the ipod.
I found something called iSimple at Best Buy that is an FM modulator. NOT AN FM TRANSMITTER. Those don't work well for me. This modulator plugs into your antenna and overrides a station through a direct line. It's $89 at Best Buy but they have a Dynex house brand that is the equivalent that runs $49. I just let them install to keep it looking good.
The sound is good, not as stellar as having a direct line in, but pretty good.
Anyway, I struggled with doing the CD patch mod, buying an after market stereo but decided on this once I learned about it. I think my car was born beautiful so I don't like to change much about the look, anyway you can't even find aftermarket stereos anymore that illuminate in green.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
2 Posts
did you go with the dynex house brand or the more expensive option?

how much did best buy charge for installation?

·
Registered
2014 CVT
826 Posts
harman kardon has had a system out for some time( on its 3rd gen now) that hooks into your stock radio and has a control dial and screen so that you can control your ipod and leave it in your glove box

·
Registered
2003 Forester 2.5X
25 Posts
FM Modulators are still not as good as a direct patch, IMHO. I've done it both ways (on one of my other cars) and it's a noticeable difference - the sound with the FM Modulator is "a bit muffled".

·
Registered
2004 Forester X Automatic
91 Posts
I just ordered the ipod kit from JazzyEngineering.com that is mentioned on a few other threads. Hoping to get it soon and try and hook things up going that route..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts