Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Premium
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is more of a question for the '17-'18 refresh:

I installed a set of 4 LEDs with DD's Smart Tap about a month ago and everything works perfectly but I noticed at night my front indicators will light up street signs. I decided to re-install the stock amber halogens in the front and to my surprise they did the same thing just a smidge dimmer and less reflective on signs, something I did not notice at all during the time before ordering all this stuff.

My questions: Did anyone else notice this? And with running the OEM amber halogen are these indicators blinding and/or annoying other drivers at night due to the reflector design?

The only other car I've noticed (so far) lighting up signs are the new Mercedes that use a full strip with amber LEDs as their front turn signals.

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Premium CVT
258 Posts
My questions: Did anyone else notice this? And with running the OEM amber halogen are these indicators blinding and/or annoying other drivers at night due to the reflector design?
I doubt you are blinding anyone with those LED’s (especially with Diode Dynamics design) - just getting more functional light down range.

Find a dark place some evening to test the output to verify for yourself (I had to!). Maybe try one LED and one halogen and hit the hazards, stand back, take a look, and make sure you yourself aren’t blinded.

I think you’ll love the difference in visibility they offer.

·
Registered
2016 Forester 2.5i
88 Posts
I tested the blinkers this morning out of curiosity. They do in fact light up street signs. I have factory turn signals with DD sl1 headlights and DD morimoto fogs on at the time. Having seen new foresters oncoming they are not blinding, mines a 2016.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Premium
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reassurance.

Just an odd quirk that they reflect that high up (even though I know they aren't meant to be aimed).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts