Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2009 Forester's turn signal volume is so low that the "click" is inaudible if the radio is on or a window is open and the road noise drowns it out.

I've driven many miles with my turn signal on and never noticed until I happen to check the dash. Very embarrassing since I'm not a little old lady.

Is there a fix?

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,399 Posts
I doubt it. We'll see what others say. I agree with you. But I have an excuse. I'm a little old man. :)

·
Registered
2004 Forester 2.5XT 4EAT
234 Posts
I have the same regards towards the blinkers in my 04' - they seem to get left on from time to time and I have my steering wheel right in the way so I can't see them unless I lean down. It's rather annoying, would be interested in a mod/fix as well.

·
Registered
09 Forester 2.5X
704 Posts
I never put the clicker all the way down..unless I know I'm going to turn it and it will cut off. When I change lanes I just push the thing down a little bit. It wont click into place, so when you take your finger off it, it cuts off!

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,521 Posts
^^ I used to do that, but I noticed there are many times when the signal (lights) aren't flashed as much as they should be. You may notice this when drivers change lanes, giving almost no signal flash at all! :mad: I (we) are now in the habit of always fully switching on the signal & not using the quick signal feature. :wink:

As to the low flasher click volume. I remember this was an issue in my first car, a VW bug. Back then, I made a beeper that came on with the turn signal. I haven't found the turn signal click volume to be too low, but my quick google search found this. :cool:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,399 Posts
Maybe add synthetic blinker fluid.

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT
453 Posts
The "clicker" sound is actually the sound of a electronic relay flipping back and forth, and being able to hear it is often a side effect. Only a few cars I have been in seems to have an added audio cue.
There is no fix per say for the actual relay, but you could always add a piezo buzzer or other sounder into the circuit.

·
Registered
09 XS Premium A/T
95 Posts
^nice find. popular product - it's sold out. a little surprised its product code is not BS-101 :icon_razz: loved the reviews.

·
Registered
2007 Forester 2.5 LLBEAN AT
4 Posts
Flasher location?

Well, all that is very well...but what I thought to do is just find a noisier flasher. Of course, it'll be nice to be able to just switch it out...but Primero is the location of the one I can't hear in traffic. Anybody got a clue? Or should I be looking in my owner's manual?

I'm really tired of the embarrassment when I find the thing still going blinkety-blink, blocks after I last used it.

Thanks! wlw

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,521 Posts
The Turn & hazard module (B32) is located under the dash, next to the Interrupt relay (Security) & the Security horn relay. Easiest way to find it... turn on the flasher & let your ears lead the way. :wink:

Looking at the module, it only has 3 connectors. If you're good with wiring, it wouldn't be that difficult to extend the wiring so the module could be placed where it was easier to hear (louder). :smile:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
2003 Forester X
216 Posts
My 2009 Forester's turn signal volume is so low that the "click" is inaudible if the radio is on or a window is open and the road noise drowns it out.

I've driven many miles with my turn signal on and never noticed until I happen to check the dash. Very embarrassing since I'm not a little old lady.

Is there a fix?
Yes. Pay attention to your surroundings. Driving should be an engaging activity. If you do not treat it as such, you are a hazard. You are in control of a maneuverable 3000 lb object. It is your personal kinetic kill device that comes with a universally taught signaling device. Misuse of this device should be IMHO grounds for recertification (whether it be Bobby's quick bump signal, or the inattentive ggoldich).

You should be checking your mirrors and dash at least once every 30 seconds. If you want an inattentive travel mode, take the train. If you don't want to walk AND don't want to wait, PAY ATTENTION.

·
Registered
2001 Forester Dual-Range Manual
614 Posts
That suprises me that the sound is so low. In my 01 Foz the blinker clicker is very loud, almost annoying. Its the loudest one ive ever heard.

·
Registered
2007 Subaru Automatic
7 Posts
Yes. Pay attention to your surroundings. Driving should be an engaging activity. If you do not treat it as such, you are a hazard. You are in control of a maneuverable 3000 lb object. It is your personal kinetic kill device that comes with a universally taught signaling device. Misuse of this device should be IMHO grounds for recertification (whether it be Bobby's quick bump signal, or the inattentive ggoldich).

You should be checking your mirrors and dash at least once every 30 seconds. If you want an inattentive travel mode, take the train. If you don't want to walk AND don't want to wait, PAY ATTENTION.
I completely agree that drivers should pay more attention to their
surroundings. As a pilot, my training emphasised a regular scan of
the panel to check all instruments. However, the panel design of
an aircraft is usually crafted to provide optimal viewing of the
instruments. It is rather ridiculous that an automobile designer
would set up a dashboard so that normal adjustment of the
steering wheel height would block the view of critical indicators.

I am also seeking an audible solution to this problem. The sounds
a vehicle makes are also valid indicators of operating characteristics,
to which a competent operator should pay attention.

-C

·
Registered
06 Forester STi
73 Posts
The Turn & hazard module (B32) is located under the dash, next to the Interrupt relay (Security) & the Security horn relay. Easiest way to find it... turn on the flasher & let your ears lead the way. :wink:

Looking at the module, it only has 3 connectors. If you're good with wiring, it wouldn't be that difficult to extend the wiring so the module could be placed where it was easier to hear (louder). :smile:

Bobby...
Perhaps it could be fixed against something, e.g. the tubular frame, lower dash panel etc, to help it resonate more.

·
Registered
2011 2.5x Auto
346 Posts
Make your flasher louder

Just glue an empty Tic Tac box on top of the flasher. It acts as a megaphone. Position it so wires don't dampen the vibrations.

Attachments

·
Registered
2012 XT Touring 4EAT
3,752 Posts
I have the same regards towards the blinkers in my 04' - they seem to get left on from time to time and I have my steering wheel right in the way so I can't see them unless I lean down. It's rather annoying, would be interested in a mod/fix as well.
I had a problem like this on a '96 Corolla wagon. For my height/seating position, the steering wheel blocked the turn indicator lights perfectly. The "fix" consisted of adding two new lights over on the left side of the dash. I mounted them both in a single unused switch cover. These bulbs were also out of my line of sight but if they blinked long enough I noticed them - certainly quicker than I noticed the original indicator bulbs.

I have the same problem on my '05X but I have not yet tackled that specific issue. If/when I do, I'll probably add an extra pair of bulbs somewhere.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts