Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think the ABS is too sensitive when driving snow covered roads. Anyone disable the ABS in the winter time? I pulled out the ABS fuse and the braking seems to work better (I went past a STOP sign once because the ABS was working and my car wouldn't stop).

·
Registered
1998 Forester
602 Posts
I think the ABS is too sensitive when driving snow covered roads. Anyone disable the ABS in the winter time? I pulled out the ABS fuse and the braking seems to work better (I went past a STOP sign once because the ABS was working and my car wouldn't stop).
Yeah good idea and while you're at it, get a utility knife and cut out the seatbelts and airbags too. ABS is not gonna kick in unless you are hitting the brakes hard and then you will feel a pulsing. On snow covered roads are you really hitting the brakes that hard ?

·
Registered
2017 2.0 FXT-Touring CVT
2,469 Posts
No. ABS gives you the ability to control the direction of the car while braking. Instead drive slower and keep more of a distance between you and the other cars around you. Don't be in rush.

·
Registered
177 Posts
No. ABS gives you the ability to control the direction of the car while braking. Instead drive slower and keep more of a distance between you and the other cars around you. Don't be in rush.
I agree. Or leave earlier to accommodate driving slower (and the amount of traffic that try to rush in rush hour in the snow). And stop earlier. The majority of the time the reason ABS kicks in is because you're going too fast to stop that fast. Instead of abrupt stop and go, it should be somewhat like shifting down if you had a manual transmission. This isn't clear 85 degrees outdoors cement. It's cold and slick with snow that turns into slush and whatnot.

·
Registered
14 Outback 25 Premium 4EAT
121 Posts
Mrs. Chili doesn't like the ABS in her Forester, either. I told her that I thought it is a tire issue, as ABS doesn't activate until tires break traction. If the tires grip better, no ABS action.

I told her to put some new tires on it. Thoughts from the group?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.