Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2013 WRX Limited Manual
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a used stealthback and matted it up to an STI axleback. I really love the grumble and the stage two power! (unfortunately now i scour the forums for turbos and inter-coolers) I noticed that under load, the exhaust makes an exaggerated sound (like a hiss). I can not discern if it is a leak, or just the sound of the system. I think there might be a leak at the cat back donut flange. Below is a picture of the set up now:

As you can see the donut flange is not completely covered. I tried tightening the flange last night, but it would just spin (i was holding both ends). Another thing that concerns me is the springs are not fully compressed. Interestingly enough, I also could not loosen the spring-loaded bolt. Did I mess something up when I installed, or does this look correct?

·
Registered
2013 WRX Limited Manual
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Can anyone with a stealthback climb under their car and see if their donut gasket looks like it is seated similarly? I would greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
2004 FXT 5MT
1,142 Posts
Did you strip the bolt if you can't tighten/loosen it?

My stock pipe looks kind of like that. When I had it off the car, if I lift by one end, the spring loaded part would bend and I can see the donut gasket move around in there.

Sorry I'm not much help.

·
Registered
2013 WRX Limited Manual
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I sent TurboXS an email, and they said it is the stock muffler noise which is common. I guess since the resonator has been eliminated it makes extra noise.

·
Registered
2013 WRX Manual
135 Posts
I would loose the donut gasket and use a flat one to ensure a tight seal. I did away with the spring bolts when I installed my invidia on my wrx and had no problems.

·
Registered
2013 WRX Limited Manual
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would loose the donut gasket and use a flat one to ensure a tight seal. I did away with the spring bolts when I installed my invidia on my wrx and had no problems.
What are the disadvantages of loosing the spring bolt?

·
Registered
2013 WRX Limited Manual
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After the cat I believe it is still a 3" connection, but it tapers in the midpipe from 3" to 2.5 inches.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
How you have it setup now is correct and should work alright. That flange setup is designed to use a donut gasket, it won't work at all with a flat gasket.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts