Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2008 XT Sports
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I recently got a TurboXS full turboback Exhaust installed on my 08 FXT Sports and was wondering if it hangs a too low under the car or not. The exhaust is the Forester specific version--basically the stealthback is the same as the WRXs whereas the axleback (muffler) is Forester specific. The shop was able to re-use the stock hangers.

I have attached three pictures of the full exhaust installed on the car. The first pic (dp2cat.jpg) shows the dp as it comes down and connects to the cat from the passenger side of the car. The second pic (mid.jpg) shows the mid pipe from the drivers' side. And the last picture (fromRear.jpg) shows the entire exhaust as viewed from the under the rear of the car. The rear muffler seems to sit fine however.

What do you guys think?

Thanks,
--yamsta

Attachments

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT Limited 4EAT
2,000 Posts
I used a kartboy short hangers on every point I could to suck mine up a bit. In general, most aftermarket kits I've seen hang somewhat low.

·
Registered
2008 XT Sports
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used a kartboy short hangers on every point I could to suck mine up a bit. In general, most aftermarket kits I've seen hang somewhat low.
Thanks for the info. Yeah if you look at the second pic you can see the hanger being stretched a bit. We tried to manually push the exhaust up to see if there was any play but there was very little. The main issue it seems like is that the downpipe comes down quite a bit and has a large angle...

Good news is that I've been driving around and it sounds great. Not too loud and pretty nice throaty grumble...

--yamsta

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Thanks for the info. Yeah if you look at the second pic you can see the hanger being stretched a bit. We tried to manually push the exhaust up to see if there was any play but there was very little. The main issue it seems like is that the downpipe comes down quite a bit and has a large angle...

Good news is that I've been driving around and it sounds great. Not too loud and pretty nice throaty grumble...

--yamsta
The turboxs downpipe is the biggest on the market so it does hang down a bit more than others (4" main piping rather than 3" of all others). Shouldn't be any issue though aside from slightly reduced clearance.

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,566 Posts
Looking at those pics, it doesn't look properly forester specific to me, that looks just like an Impreza box fitted, wonder if the 'forester specific' relates to the rear hangers only and that the inlet pipe line is as Impreza (wrongly!)

Simon

·
Registered
2008 XT Sports
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looking at those pics, it doesn't look properly forester specific to me, that looks just like an Impreza box fitted, wonder if the 'forester specific' relates to the rear hangers only and that the inlet pipe line is as Impreza (wrongly!)

Simon
Thanks for the input. Can you clarify what you meant by "Impreza box fitted"? Arent all the DPs/Stealthbacks in the market pretty much interchangeable btw the WRX and Forester?

--yamsta

·
Registered
2009 Forester X 5MT
4,320 Posts
What Rookie is saying is that the actual muffler is still the same as the WRX one, but with the hangers relocated to make it "Forester specific".

·
Registered
2008 XT Sports
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What Rookie is saying is that the actual muffler is still the same as the WRX one, but with the hangers relocated to make it "Forester specific".
Haha, thats a possibility. I'm not so much worried about the muffler piece as I am the mid pipes. I've been searching around and it does seem that most aftermarket exhausts hang lower than stock...trying to figure out why that is and if mines hangs lower than normal...

--yamsta

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,450 Posts
The TXS stealthback generally hangs low - it's a well-known characteristic for that particular exhaust. Not a problem unless you're slammed to the ground and scrape over every speed bump, though. We've even done our share of off-road excursions with the stealthbacked FXT, and have the scars to show for it, but nothing beyond a few dents and scratches. No harm, no foul...

·
Registered
2008 XT Sports
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the responses everyone! I'm stock height right now and have been debating whether I want to keep it that way. I guess now I will keep it the way it is! Its a great sounding exhaust with really good welds. We'll see how long it holds up!

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,450 Posts
Don't worry about the quality... it's really great workmanship. I've had mine on Subed for 6 years now!

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,566 Posts
Thanks for the input. Can you clarify what you meant by "Impreza box fitted"? Arent all the DPs/Stealthbacks in the market pretty much interchangeable btw the WRX and Forester?

--yamsta
If you sit a Foz back box next to an impreza one, you'll see that its not the hangers that change between them but the position of the back box, if you fix teh hangers and front flnage in the same place, the Foz back box sits about 1" lower, if you fit an Impreza back box and just tweak the hangers the line from flange to back boz is wrong and pulls down the rear of the centre section just like the TXS does, I wouldn't be surprised that if you laid a TXS Foz backbox next to a TXS impreza one that the only difference is in the hanger location, meaning its not truly forester specific.

And no pretty much all are far from interchangeable!

Simon

·
Registered
2008 XT Sports
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you sit a Foz back box next to an impreza one, you'll see that its not the hangers that change between them but the position of the back box, if you fix teh hangers and front flnage in the same place, the Foz back box sits about 1" lower, if you fit an Impreza back box and just tweak the hangers the line from flange to back boz is wrong and pulls down the rear of the centre section just like the TXS does, I wouldn't be surprised that if you laid a TXS Foz backbox next to a TXS impreza one that the only difference is in the hanger location, meaning its not truly forester specific.

And no pretty much all are far from interchangeable!

Simon
Thats interesting. Actually in my case its the downpipe itself that comes down pretty low and dictates the "lowness" of the rest of the exhaust and midpipes. The axleback fits almost perfectly though...

·
Registered
08 Forester Sports XT
51 Posts
I have read all the replies in this thread,but I haven't seen any suggestions from anyone about how to actually solve the issue.. :(

1 - 16 of 16 Posts