Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2004 FXT Premium
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I know some of this has been covered, but I couldn't find a post to directly about this set-up. I'm looking at picking-up a Turbo XS DP, cat pipe (or race pipe) and adapter pipe from a member (currently in the FS section here) for my '04 FXT and have some questions. I'm thinking I can go: DP-->CP (or RP)-->adapter--> stock 2.5" muffler, yes? If so, will the fitment be off like in some of the build threads I've seen where the tailpipe is up under the bumper? From a performance standpoint, my understanding is that having the constriction in the system further from the engine is better and my thinking is that the stock muffler will keep it pretty sedate sounding on the street. All will be run on AP, I assume the stage II map will cover it. How does this plan sound? How restrictive is the TSX CP and how much more volume will I get w/ the RP in this set-up?
Thanks in advance,
Chris

·
Registered
05 FXT
1,540 Posts
In theory the cat should tone it down, but honestly in most vehicles I've dealt with, especially if you're still hanging a mellow (or more-so stock) axleback on there, it's not going to make a noticable sound difference CP to RP.

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT
311 Posts
I have this exact setup on an 07 xt, turbo xs dp, catless rp, 3" midpipe and stock axleback. Sounds bone stock except for additional turbo sound out the rear, and you can feel the exhaust a bit in your feet on the floorboards, but no audible increase in sound.

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT
311 Posts
Also.... to address fitment, it is same as stock, identical.
I am also kicking around adding a cat to the racepipe, exhaust smells strong, and I thought it would feel powerful being catless, but the only thing powerful is my negative impact on the environment, which my conscience can't deal with after smelling catless pump gas.

·
Registered
2004 FXT Premium
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to all for the info.

I am also kicking around adding a cat to the racepipe, exhaust smells strong, and I thought it would feel powerful being catless, but the only thing powerful is my negative impact on the environment, which my conscience can't deal with after smelling catless pump gas.
LOL. If you are interested in the catpipe, maybe we can work out a deal with the seller. He wants to sell it as a package, but I will likely just use the RP. LMK.

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT
311 Posts
I'd be interested in this, however I believe I know who has this for sale, and my setup requires the donut style rear gasket, and his setup has flat flanges front and rear. If I am wrong however I'd be interested in going in on it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts