4,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1 VF39 check
1 Walbro fuel pump check
4 copper washers for oil line check
2 DP gaskets check
1 UP gasket check
1 AP with vf39 map loaded check

Am I missing anything that I might need to perform this? Is the porting of the VF39 necessary? I've read conflicting reports. Any tips are appreciated. I've never swapped a turbo, but I'm pretty comfortable with this engine bay, I already have an STI intercooler in place, and turning a wrench. I have an extra car at my disposal for the week if I need some extra time or parts.

Should I just bang it or wait to see if I can get some more experienced help? In case you can't tell, I'm a little nervous about this, but excited to get this thing in!:puke:

·
Registered
2005 Base 2.5x foz
896 Posts
It's pretty straight forward. Some PB blaster might help with those bolts, they can be a bit tight. Otherwise go for it! I think you'll find it is pretty easy!

·
Pleiads' biggest leghumper
04's 2 FXT's.
9,263 Posts
give your self time & be patient.

do you have a after market turbo inlet hose? If not be real carefull with the factory one.

joe r

·
04's 2 FXT's.
9,263 Posts
Also be patient with the oil & coolant lines. They do bend a little but not much.

Its also nice to have an extra set of hands under teh car guiding the oil outlet line onto the bung.

joe r

·
Registered
13 Forester XT 4EAT
4,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
give your self time & be patient.

do you have a after market turbo inlet hose? If not be real carefull with the factory one.

joe r
I'm gonna use the stocker, I understand in addition to this being very expensive, I don't really need it?

·
04's 2 FXT's.
9,263 Posts
You will not need an after market one as long as the factory does not rip.

joe r

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,786 Posts
Don't forget to prime the turbo after installation, it will not last long without oil in it. I can look up links to procedure if you want, but basically I pulled a fuse and cranked the engine without starting it for a few minutes.

I wouldn't bother porting the turbo unless you are having a specific problem.

Stan

·
Premium Member
04 Acura TSX the slick 6 speed
2,355 Posts
Ditto on porting, mine made 297/337 without porting and its smooth as butter.

One snag I hit, the install went fine but then my Cobb wasn't updated (before custom tune I used OTS map) so I spent like an hour making that happen. You'll need the most recent firmware for the VF39 maps, in my case I had the maps but not the newest update and it didn't work. Once I got that done all was fine.

I assume you've read plenty of installs before tackling this...it helped me alot...

Other than that, prepare yourself for a car that drives very differently!!! It was an incredulous feeling on that first test drive, and still is. You'll love it!

Report back when done!!!!!! Have fun!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
13 Forester XT 4EAT
4,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Don't forget to prime the turbo after installation, it will not last long without oil in it. I can look up links to procedure if you want, but basically I pulled a fuse and cranked the engine without starting it for a few minutes.

I wouldn't bother porting the turbo unless you are having a specific problem.

Stan
Thanks for the reminder, no need I looked up a link to that procedure. But now that I think more about things I'm forgetting, how about coolant? Easier just to drain and refill, or how is it best to go about plugging the hoses?

·
04's 2 FXT's.
9,263 Posts
Plug the hoses. You will loose a little.

joe r

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
Thanks for the reminder, no need I looked up a link to that procedure. But now that I think more about things I'm forgetting, how about coolant? Easier just to drain and refill, or how is it best to go about plugging the hoses?
I went ahead and flushed mine while I was at it, it calls for coolant flush at 60,000 miles anyway.

·
Registered
13 Forester XT 4EAT
4,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Alright, TD04 is out (that was easier than I thought). Now that I have it side by side with the vf39 I bought, the td04 spins WAAAAY easier than the vf. Is that cause I just took it out and it's nice and oiled, or should they spin about same? Just want to be sure I'm not putting a crap turbo in the car. TD04 spins with the gentle push of a finger and keeps going a little bit, while the vf needs me to grip it with thumb and finger and spin, it's stops as soon as i let go. I'm charging my camera and will take a video to post in a little so you can see what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
06 forester xt 07 sti 6 speed
3,873 Posts
Noah, DID you try poring a little bit of oil into the top oil feed hole? This should free things up a bit.

·
Registered
13 Forester XT 4EAT
4,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I didn't pour any in right before the video, but I have in the past and right after you suggested it again. Not really any difference. Think the oil would have to be under pressure to get into all the places it needs to be? I did notice the TD04 has some slight shaft play up and down, but no contact marks. Whereas the VF39 has no shaft play, but some scoring marks.

·
Registered
06 forester xt 07 sti 6 speed
3,873 Posts
I didn't pour any in right before the video, but I have in the past and right after you suggested it again. Not really any difference. Think the oil would have to be under pressure to get into all the places it needs to be? I did notice the TD04 has some slight shaft play up and down, but no contact marks. Whereas the VF39 has no shaft play, but some scoring marks.
Yeah, even without adding oil to help it out, it seems that it should spin a bit more freely than it is. In my limited experience with paying with turbos, when you add just a little bit of oil to the turbo (bench test), it makes a noticable difference in the wheel spinning freely.

Congrats on doing the turbo swap yourself!

·
Registered
13 Forester XT 4EAT
4,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
^^It's not swapped yet! I had a feeling about this thing, shoulda trusted my gut. I guess I'll try and buy another and install the best one and try get the seller to take this back, but I doubt he will. I have a week to get one, keep an eye out!

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
I don't know enough about turbos to say if that one's bad. What did you pay for it? That may say alot about its condition.

Bummer, sorry to hear, that stinks, what a let down when you're all set to install. I had a bad experience buying a crap turbo from someone, fortunately I was able to get my $$$ back and I obtained a better one.

Any updates?

1 - 20 of 73 Posts