Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Turbo S
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having run my 1999 Turbo S for the last nine years, ( always serviced on schedule by Subaru main dealer ) I've started to notice a faint whistling sound. It is only noticeable as I drive up the steep hill to my house ( I think at speed it is drowned out by road noise ). She has 225,000kms ( 140,000 miles ) on the clock, is this normal wear and tear ? Is there something I can do to prevent this from getting worse ? Is the turbo likely to go bang in the near future ?

Hope you can help , cheers Richard.

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,870 Posts
Possible leaky Air Bypass valve at that mileage???

·
Registered
1999 Forester S Turbo 5MT
1,960 Posts
I removed the IC last week and didn't fasten one of the clips from the IC to the throttle chamber. I got a squeeling sound like if you hold the neck of a balloon and let the air out slowly under medium acceleration from about 2750rpm on. As Don suggests above but maybe check all the hoses as perhaps the OEM ones can get brittle and crack. I replaced mine with a set of Samco silicone but that's no good if I forget to tighten them, duh.

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,566 Posts
Squeaks and whines usually mean an airleak where there shouldn't be one!

On a 99 I doubt its the bypass valve as the unique design used on 99/00 s-turbo means that any leak is a gross leak so no noise.

Simon

·
Registered
1999 Forester S Turbo 5MT
1,960 Posts
I got a squeeling sound like if you hold the neck of a balloon and let the air out slowly under medium acceleration from about 2750rpm on.

This refers to me driving the Forester, not the balloon.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts