Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2004 2.0XT (PPP) Manual
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Advice needed. After start up during cold weather, have had white smoke from exhaust, when engine has warmed up white smoke stops. Thought this was due to a worn turbo exasperated by being subjected to cold soak as smoke does not occur during warm weather.
A week ago, whilst traveling at 60mph I heard 2 light pops in quick succesion from the engine bay followed by a lack of power under acceleration. This lack of power lasted about 1/2 a mile then all was normal.
This pop accured again last Sunday and now I have a strange grating noise, like something spinning and rubbing against something else, from engine area with a lack of power when accelerating. Engine and car operates satisfactorily under very very light throttle opening. Grating noise only occurs when in gear and accelerating. No noise in the following situations: in gear but engine not under load, in neutral and coasting. No excessive smoke from exhaust. Engine oil level correct, but quite black in colour. Is my turbo bearing race shot, or do I have a problem with the clutch/gearbox/front transfere box area?:shrug:

Forester 2.0ltr turbo, manual, pro-drive performance pack fitted.

·
Registered
2004 FXT / 2020 Outback Onyx XT
1,659 Posts
I does sound like your turbo is blown, but the popping noise has me a bit puzzled. If the turbo is blown, I'm guessing you may have much more smoke when you put some more miles on it.

-Dennis

1 - 2 of 2 Posts