Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Forester X
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I just spent a bunch of time and money rebuilding the front end of my 2.5 07 X. I want this thing to get a turbo or supercharge in this car by summer 2010. Any suggestions? Would i need an engine swap to do so? I have read some of these post about the S/C with the high compression rating and what not. If any one has any suggestions on how to make my X a bit quicker im open to suggestions. Thanks!

·
Registered
2008 FSXT M/T
4,170 Posts
your best bet is a motor swap. if you dont build the motor up, youll be forced to running low boost (5psi) which is a waste for the amount of time/money invested.

id concentrate on suspension and handling, your car wont be fast, but @ least fun to drive.

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,887 Posts
With 10:1 compression ratio there really is no room for boost. Motor swap is the only way unless you are willing to sell the car.

Stan

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
Your best bet, for the money, would probably be to swap in a stock WRX engine/turbo etc.

Do they make any stroker kits for the n/a motor? I know crawford was doing some higher displacement/stroker engines for the turbo models.

·
Registered
2009 Forester X Premium
3,121 Posts
2.5x_sleeper has an X hes turbocharged with a kit and has had no problems with it, so It can be done

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,100 Posts
Sell it and buy an XT. Why waste a bunch of money doing something the factory already did, and did more reliably than you can do.

Doing a forced induction setup makes sense for cars that it was not offered on in the US (98-01 2.5RS, 98-04 LGT, 98-02 Forester), but not so much for a for an 04+ Subaru since turbocharged motors were offered on nearly every model. The motors were built from the ground up to handle boost.

·
Super Moderator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
35,944 Posts
2.5x_sleeper has an X hes turbocharged with a kit and has had no problems with it, so It can be done
Yes it can be done & this question has been floored many times during my time here on the forum. My '03X, now my son's Forester, may be one of the few success stories & that doesn't mean problems won't happen farther down the road... :icon_eek:

The AVO turbo kit can be viewed here. You can see pictures of my '03X engine with an AVO turbo kit installed here. You can find more comments from me here. Also try a forum search "avo turbo kit" (with the quotes) & you'll get lots of threads to read.

Bottom line, I can't recommend installing the AVO Tubo kit, since I wouldn't do it again. Figure you'd have to lay out $5K for the AVO turbo kit installation (not plug & play!) & you'll need an XT hood plus installation & painting. Way too expensive & the money would be better spent buying a used XT. :frown:

Still... The '03X has had the AVO turbo kit for over 5 years & I've had zero problems. No shop time for any problems in years. :smile:

I've done as much as I can on my '03X, so I passed it on to my son & I've moved on to my new to me '07 FSXT that I purchased last year (July/09). :wink:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Registered
NA No more! :(
8,529 Posts
Stick to suspension mods.. that's what I'm doing. I'll buy a turbo car next time... or if I blow this engine somehow... EJ257 swap.

·
Registered
2007 Forester X
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks alot guys! Its gonna be kinda hard to part with this thing mostly because ive spent the last week doing all of this front end work and sadly you bond with a car after that kinda stuff. well looks like ill try for a trade in on an XT. thanks again.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Is all about money, if you have tons of it, buy a XT, if you have a lot do a Swap , if you have some but not much Turbo or Supercharge it and have fun. 10:1 Compression can handle some boost its all about the tuning.

·
Registered
2007 2.5X L.L. BEAN
151 Posts
Sell it and buy an XT. Why waste a bunch of money doing something the factory already did, and did more reliably than you can do.

Doing a forced induction setup makes sense for cars that it was not offered on in the US (98-01 2.5RS, 98-04 LGT, 98-02 Forester), but not so much for a for an 04+ Subaru since turbocharged motors were offered on nearly every model. The motors were built from the ground up to handle boost.
I Agree. I wanted an XT, but just couldnt find one close enough and the time frame was kind of emergent.

·
Registered
08 2.5x
462 Posts
Every time I think I want an XT. I stop and get gas and rember why I didn't get one in the first place. I will do a few suspension mods and drive the piss out of this car. Might get an XT next time.

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,100 Posts
Every time I think I want an XT. I stop and get gas and rember why I didn't get one in the first place. I will do a few suspension mods and drive the piss out of this car. Might get an XT next time.
it only cost $2-3 more per tank to fill up an XT over an X, and the mpg is not all that different. My wife get about 24mpg on average in her X, and I get around 20mpg. Even if you fill up weekly, your only looking at maybe $20 a month difference.

·
Registered
08 2.5x
462 Posts
it only cost $2-3 more per tank to fill up an XT over an X, and the mpg is not all that different. My wife get about 24mpg on average in her X, and I get around 20mpg. Even if you fill up weekly, your only looking at maybe $20 a month difference.
That may be true. But I got my car in 08 when the gas was close to $4 a gallon. It replaced a truck that was only getting 16mpg and I was driving 3000 miles a month. I'm now getting 26mpg and I will still be driving close to the 3000 miles a month when I get a new job. So it adds up really quick. Add that I didn't have a car payment and I do now. If I had an XT getting 20mpg and I was paying more for gas it would just be too expensive for me.

·
Registered
2014 Forester CVT
96 Posts
Supercharger Question

Hey Folks,
Not sure this is the right place for this question / comment but here goes.
I agree with what all of you are saying, The XT is a logical choice, however fuel efficiency is a big part of owning your car. I went from a chevy venture to my Forester and cost per liter or Mpg is almost the same.
What I would like to know / try is put a supercharger on, and set it up for low end response and see if there is a way to boost the fuel efficiency of the vehicle.

Do you think this can be done ? I should probably also send an email to Raptor and see what they say :icon_biggrin:

As it is now my 04 Forester X handles 160 K no problem, I don't need to go faster than that ( ok sometimes we want to ).

Suggestions ? Comments, hate mail ?

·
Registered
2003 Forester X
216 Posts
Then why didn't you get your wife an XT?

;)

·
Registered
1999 Forester L
159 Posts
I have the same question as the original poster except my circumstances are different. When the engine in my 99 goes, which doesnt seem likely to be anytime soon, I am planning on rebuilding it. I dont know if I should go for a supercharger or turbo or keep it NA and stroke it. What is a safe comp ratio to push it to if I keep it NA? also what is better in this case, super or turbo?

·
Registered
06 Forester
389 Posts
for us the NA engine is sufficient enough for normal to spirited road use. it's just the darn 4EAT thats rubbish :icon_sad:

it would NOT downshift fast enough even when youre kicking the skinny pedal like a pump or even when youre stepping on it full throttle. i couldnt even overtake one time at the beltway while at a crawl on a slightly inclined road 'cause it just wouldnt shift right away. the response lag is just sickening :shake:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts