Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2006 XT EA4T
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, no, I'm not trying to cheap out and buy non-premium gas. :mob: I local station has just started selling CAM2 gasoline which I believe is abouth 100 octane. Has anyone here ever tried this in their XT? What were the results? Is this the equivelant of Russian roullette?

My second question is whether anyone has added an "Octane Boost" addative to their premium. What were those results? Recently, I was on a road trip waaay back in the sticks and came up to a gas station that sold ONLY 87 octane. Fortunatley I made it the next 30 miles to a premium pump. It made me wonder though. Could you add an octane boost to a tank of 87 octane in a one time emergency without creating an ongoing problem with the engine?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2009 Forester X Premium
3,091 Posts
First off, no, I'm not trying to cheap out and buy non-premium gas. :mob: I local station has just started selling CAM2 gasoline which I believe is abouth 100 octane. Has anyone here ever tried this in their XT? What were the results? Is this the equivelant of Russian roullette?

My second question is whether anyone has added an "Octane Boost" addative to their premium. What were those results? Recently, I was on a road trip waaay back in the sticks and came up to a gas station that sold ONLY 87 octane. Fortunatley I made it the next 30 miles to a premium pump. It made me wonder though. Could you add an octane boost to a tank of 87 octane in a one time emergency without creating an ongoing problem with the engine?

Thanks!
I dont see why not as long as it raises the octane to 92-93,, Id be running that CAM 2 how much a gallon is it ?

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,241 Posts
Those bottles of Octane boost are rubbish. They add something like .1 octane points. They do absolutely NOTHING.

If the station only has 87, then put a gallon or two in the tank and drive (easily) to the next station. Something you can safely do with a stock car, but likely not do at ALL with a modified car.

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,008 Posts
You can run up to 100 octane and gain a noticable amount of power without a special tune or anything. they sell 101 at a station near my parents, so I like to put a few gallons of it in my XT every so often. it is around $8 a gallon, but it sure makes the car run REAL nice!

·
Registered
2008 FSXT M/T
4,167 Posts
make sure the gas is unleaded or you will clog your cats... if your catless, then go for it! btw unless your tuned for it, its a waste. it will make no performance difference... theres a bunch of local stations that carry 100-110 octane on the island. NONE ARE UNLEADED tho...

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,241 Posts
I thought all Leaded 100 octane fuel was AV gas?

There was a shop nearby that sold 100 unleaded from a pump. I ran it on the dyno in my Legacy. Seemed to run a bit better.

·
Registered
2005 Sequoia, V70R auto
2,869 Posts
They have a 110 leaded pump near my house. It's not street legal, but they'll let anyone buy it. Leaded fuel also damages O2 sensors.

·
The Sub kit guy
13,008 Posts
Cernex near me sells 94 at the pump, and a 76 station has Trick unleaded 101 right at the pump. They also have 110 and 116 in big tanks but you can only buy that stuff if you have a seperate container. It definitely is NOT AV fuel. You can find that stuff at most airports, but it is not good to run in a catted car.

I've ran the Trick unleaded 101 straight and it makes a nice difference. It reminds of the difference you feel driving your car on a 40 degree day vs. driving on 100 degree day. The only problem is I get about 8mpg with it, so it is like spending $1 per mile to run it.

The power gain it isn't as good as being tuned for 100 octane, but there is a noticable difference when driving hard.

·
Registered
:(
471 Posts
^^We live right by Cenex here in Auburn and put the 94 in the WRX and mid grade for my NA Fozz

Which 76 sells the 101?
edit: nvm... its right by our house by top foods!

·
The Sub kit guy
13,008 Posts
^^We live right by Cenex here in Auburn and put the 94 in the WRX and mid grade for my NA Fozz

Which 76 sells the 101?
edit: nvm... its right by our house by top foods!
You are correct! My parents live up the hill from there so I always try time time it so I can fill up at Cenex up on Fridays when I pick up my kids from grandmas's house.

·
Registered
:(
471 Posts
Did you know you save a few cents a gallon if you go inside and prepay at Cenex? Decent prices there too =) I live by Dick Scobee grade school

1 - 13 of 13 Posts