Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1999 s turbo auto
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a noise around 2-2.5k, whistly maybe rattley. Could be a heat shield rattling hopefully? or turbo itself rattling :(
Are forester's prone to rattling heat shields?
Its a standard 99 auto s-turbo with 147,000 miles probably on original turbo.
Anyone have a standard ling around? :)
Thanks

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,813 Posts
I have a noise around 2-2.5k, whistly maybe rattley. Could be a heat shield rattling hopefully? or turbo itself rattling :(
Are forester's prone to rattling heat shields?
Its a standard 99 auto s-turbo with 147,000 miles probably on original turbo.
Anyone have a standard ling around? :)
Thanks
YES, the Forester's are VERY prone to rattling when it comes to the heat shields. Have someone rev the car and you get under it with a rubber hammer. Find the rattle and bash it until it goes away (that's what I did anyway :biggrin:) Hasn't come back either.

·
Registered
1999 (UKDM) S-Turbo (LT) 4EAT
217 Posts
I had a funny squeaky rattle at around those revs on my 99 S-Turbo auto at around the same mileage as yours. It sounded like a loose alternator belt but changing that made no difference. When it went for a service to my garage, they couldn't find the problem and determined that it was a rattly cat. I wasn't so sure myself as it didn't sound like that sort of rattle but decided to live with it a bit longer.

Eventually I could bear the embarrassment no longer so decided to have another look. I found it by crawling underneath the car when it was cold and rocking the exhaust system to pinpoint where the sound was coming from. I traced it to the hanger bracket welded to the down pipe just before the join to the centre pipe. There was a sufficient gap in the heat shield to see that the pipe was rubbing against the broken weld onto the hanger bracket. Took it and had it welded back on, been quiet ever since.

·
Registered
1999 s turbo auto
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the help! I will go and investigate when it stops raining :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts