Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mods:
- 08 STI TMIC
- VF48
- Tune, exhaust....

Usually when I roll onto the throttle you can hear the BOV go psssssst. This afternoon I went to the track for a lapping session. About the 3rd session (way too loud to hear the psssst with windows down and loud exhausts everywhere) I notice the motor making a different sound. Its almost like a flute, a solid tone that was coming on when I got into boost, .5 bar and above.

I had the feeling I was a little down on power, not much but I thought it was me. Then when I became aware of the noise I knew something was amiss. There's still plenty of power/boost, just the noise has become louder. I can cruise at 80mph with no boost/noise, I stayed out of boost as much as possible coming home. Driving through residential it no longer goes psssst now.

I figured (not being a mechanic) it was either the BOV (that goes psssst right ?) or one of the hoses developed a crack. Parked in the garage , popped open the hood, removed the cosmetic cover and this is what I saw right away:

The O-ring is just sitting there clearly not clamping down on the red pipe. Now while the solution appears to be , put it back on and tighten down... What is the purpose of that metal braket that I've high-lighted with the blue arrow ? Should I put the O-rig on top of it ? How best to put this back on? And , does this appear to be what's causing the noise ? Is this where forced air comes out of the turbo and into the IC ? I don't see any reason this would cause any damage, just lower boost right ?

·
Pleiads' biggest leghumper
04's 2 FXT's.
9,263 Posts
It is there to hold the clamp forward for you so it does not slide back.

joe r

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Makes sense, so ok as per the picture just slide the O-ring to the right, rest up against the bracket and tighten down ?

·
Registered
13 Forester XT 4EAT
4,187 Posts
Yup, don't worry about damage, this happened to me once, just put it all back together and boost away!

·
Registered
2017 Forester Premium
3,096 Posts
Look like its made for a special type clamp that actually goes threw those holes.
Like these:

·
Registered
13 Forester XT 4EAT
4,187 Posts
^^Those are different clamps all together. What the OP has is the stock Subaru elbow and clamp.

·
Registered
13 Forester XT 4EAT
4,187 Posts
Pretty sure it wouldn't run lean, all the built up boost was escaping, if anything it would go the other way...

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Yup the sound was just an intake leak.

However, i would check the line between the PCV valve and the intake manifold under the throttle body as you have similar oil residue to my car when that hose ripped (unless that oil residue is just coming from where the hose clamp came loose).

·
aka DMax in Alaska
'06 Mini Cooper S JCW 6MT
786 Posts
Yep...had this happen the other day. Slip the hose clamp back on and snug it back down. I would suggest a T-bolt clamp as TC2000 pointed out in post #5. Once tightened, they will not loosen and slip off and are far more sturdy than the worm-screw type.

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Put it back on and I'll look into a better clamp, thanks. Now I couldnt' get the hose to line up perfectly with the turbo (don't know if it did in the first place) so a bit of the smooth lip that's lower is showing. I've tightened down the clamp and test driven it, doesn't make a noise, good enough ?

·
aka DMax in Alaska
'06 Mini Cooper S JCW 6MT
786 Posts
It should be OK if only a little showing. Get the better clamp and try to reseat the hose before you install it. If it isn't on well enough, it will pop off again under pressure/boost; you'll know. Expect it to happen and just throw the necessary tools in the car in case it happens so your not left stranded somewhere.

·
Official sf.org decal guy
2006 FXT
12,367 Posts
Put it back on and I'll look into a better clamp, thanks. Now I couldnt' get the hose to line up perfectly with the turbo (don't know if it did in the first place) so a bit of the smooth lip that's lower is showing. I've tightened down the clamp and test driven it, doesn't make a noise, good enough ?
can you take another pic of how it looks now? I want to make sure that i'm understanding what you mean by "a bit of the smooth lip is showing".

As for the first pic, i'm gonna say you got really really lucky. That hose looks like it was ready to be blown of and then you would have lost all power.

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
can you take another pic of how it looks now? I want to make sure that i'm understanding what you mean by "a bit of the smooth lip is showing".

As for the first pic, i'm gonna say you got really really lucky. That hose looks like it was ready to be blown of and then you would have lost all power.
I am referring to the smooth machined end of the turbo where you mount the hose, pic below shows it well on the top right. Actually now that I look at a pic of the turbo below IMO that's fine as there's an easy 2 inches of metal covered by the hose and its just barely not fitting perfectly against the lip.

Looks like this now:

The shop that installed it still needs to put the passenger side mount on the IC so I'll get them to mount the new clamp properly when the IC is off. They told me it was a very tight fit so I dont' want to take it off myself for fear of not getting it back on (or damaging the heck out of the fins trying).

·
2006 FXT
12,367 Posts
oh that's more than enough coverage. However, I like putting the hose clamp as close to the lip as possible. The point of the raise lip on the edge of the turbo (or other piping) is to make an airtight seal when the hose clamp is tightened down.

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
^^ I totally agree with you, if I could have forced it flat I would have . Just wanted to verify what I did would be sufficient. Will hunt for better clamp next week.

thnx for all info's !

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Man your car sounds sick in the vid. What exhaust is that? Weren't you looking at getting a Cobb?
Thanks, I'm happy with it. Cobb DP + 3 inch WBR catback. I was looking at a Cobb catback until I found it was 2.5 inch, I don't see the point in changing to one in my case.

·
2006 FXT
12,367 Posts
Thanks, I'm happy with it. Cobb DP + 3 inch WBR catback. I was looking at a Cobb catback until I found it was 2.5 inch, I don't see the point in changing to one in my case.
Any exhaust shop can modify the Cobb very easily and inexpensively. The WBR sounds nice on the track but I wonder if it is much louder on the street.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts