Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2004 forester xt auto
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello,
I recently purchased a 04 forester xt with 129k miles, the car feels great and is a joy to drive but just recently (after about 1k miles) the turbo blew. I purchased a used turbo in good condition and installed it only to have it blown apart in less than a day of driving, it snapped the shaft in half, sending the exhaust wheel into the downpipe. Boy what a smoke screen on the highway when that happened. I chalked it up to a bad turbo so I then purchased another used turbo. I installed the turbo again and a couple of trips around the block and I hear a noise coming from the turbo and loss of power, it makes the sound of an cordless drill when it jams up. Well needless to say I pull the turbo and the shaft play is excessive to say the least. Both turbos prior to installation had very little shaft play. I'm at odds on what could be happening. I have had plenty of turbo cars but this is the first to eat the turbos up so quickly. Is it just the used turbos were on their way out or am I just missing something. Luckily the install is not that bad. Any thought would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2009 Fozzie XT Ltd 4EAT
553 Posts
have you examined the engine oil?

I've never installed a turbo but I hear that you have to be very careful in the installation process to make sure that it is primed correctly before you start the car.

·
Registered
2004 forester xt auto
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
prior to purchasing the vehicle an oil change was done and I verified it by inspecting the oil, however when the shaft broke in half all the oil was burned up/lost through the exhaust which I then replaced with fresh oil. I am not aware that the turbo has to be primed only because it should be a high pressure oil feed so as soon as u start the vehicle you should have oil. I have never primed a turbo but not stay you don't have too. thanks for your input.

·
Registered
2005 Forester, XT 4EAT
24 Posts
Does it have a banjo bolt screen in the oil line at the turbo? If it does, you need to remove it. Do a search on turbo replacement, and priming. Even the best turbo will only last hours, if not primed correctly.

·
Registered
2004 forester xt auto
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have removed the screens on the pass and driver side, unless their are more screens that I am unaware of. I will do a search on priming a turbo and see what comes up. thanks again.

·
Premium Member
2009 Fozzie XT Ltd 4EAT
553 Posts
I think you would just pull the ignition fuse right?

·
Registered
2004 forester xt auto
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
that should work. this time around I'm going to crank it prior to installing the turbo and make sure the oil feed is supply adequate oil. thanks for all your input.

·
Registered
2004 forester xt auto
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for the info. I know exactly where it is. I may convert it to -3an or -4an fitting with steel braided line. my first experience with subies, I'm learning a lot but evos are easier to work on. :) thanks again

·
Registered
2004 forester xt auto
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I didn't see any debri when I pulled the turbo but have thought about changing that while I'm into it this far. What I did do was remove the filter from the banjo bolt for the oil feed and it made a huge difference in the amount of oil flow. I believe that was probably the culprit but will make but will take every precaution before going through another turbo.

thanks for everyone's help/thoughts.

·
Registered
2004 Forester xt Auto
91 Posts
Sarge, I'm new to the subie world as well and purchased my first subie, 04 fxt auto, about 2 months ago. One owner(female)with 113k on it, little to now maintenance records. Bought it knowing that as it was on a mechanic lien at the shop that works on my BMW m5s. Picked it up as a winter beater. It ate two turbos, both purchased used in approximately 300miles. Check that your motor is making enough oil pressure. I found out mine was t about 25-28% which was enough to barely run an NA motor. Turbo is mechanical so forester's fail safe or limp mode didn't shut it off. A friend and I replaced all banjo bolts with new oem ones. Lifted motor cleaned oil pan and found a ton of sludge at oil pan bottom. What a crappy design to have exhaust manifold pipes so close to oil pan. Oil was literally baked on.

Anyways we cleaned every nook and cranny, reassembled and so far everything seems to be ok. Installed a vf39 which woke up the car. I'll be installing more go fast mods after more research. I believe the. Culprit to have been a lack of oil changes/maintenance and the crappy manifold design. Oil pressure is way up to 45-47% and I'm not looking back. The subaru has gotten thru every snow storm that hit the northeast's tri state area, allowing me to pick up extra shifts at work. Love love love my fxt. Now if only it handled like my bmws.

·
Registered
2004 forester xt auto
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks, that is very helpful information. I may hook up an oil pressure gauge to be safe, do u know if they have a port on the oil filter housing or elsewhere. At work all day today so I can't check until tomorrow. Like I said I did notice a dramatic change in oil flow when the filters where removed but it was lack luster pressure. Have to check it out. I was hoping not to make this a project car because my wife sees me playing with this like my never ending Evo. :)

Thanks again.

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT 5MT
60 Posts
Interestingly the dealer refused to remove the oil screen on my '05. Said they wouldn't "tamper with OEM parts". They had no idea why anyone would want to remove it. Even though the 06+ comes without it as far as I know... I said screw it fine just replace it then.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts