Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really need help to decide what to do...my Subaru Forester 2005 has just blown the turbo again! It was overfilled with oil and it seems the o-ring needs replacing as well. The mechanics also said I need a catalytic converter.
Does anyone know about this problem? Otherwise, the car runs great but there is a metallic noise underneath.

·
Registered
SG9 Forester XT Stick Shift
1,667 Posts

·
Registered
2004 forester
1 Posts
i have the same problem. bought a used td04 (minimal shaft play) had it installed and now tail pipe is smoking. Is the car still safe to drive? and should i replace with another used turbo or replace it with a new one?

·
Registered
2004 FXT / 2020 Outback Onyx XT
1,659 Posts
You can add me to the list. What oil do you use and how often do you change it?

I never got around to posting it, but I have blown my second turbo as well. The first one wasn’t actually blown but had excessive oil getting past the seals. With the exception of an Amsoil panel filter, engine is completely stock. Ironically, I wanted to stay stock for “better reliability”.

I ran Syntec 0W-30 (GC) most of the time going for 6-8k mile intervals. Used oil analyses always checked out ok but I had smoking issues for about a year (turbo area and sometimes blue coming out of the exhaust). This only happened only within the first 5-10 minutes of driving. Took it to the dealer twice before 60k and they couldn’t find anything.

At around 62k, I finally convinced them to take the turbo apart and that’s when they found the seal problem. There was no sludge found in any of the lines or in the oil supply screen. They convinced the SoA rep to cover it under warranty. This turbo only lasted only 20k miles Just before the new turbo was installed, I switched to Amsoil SSO 0W-30 for two 8k mile intervals and then to Amsoil diesel DEO 5W-40 and was running an Amsoil oil filter for the last two intervals. One morning while getting ready for an 11 hour drive from NJ to SC, I started my car and noticed a ticking noise. I thought maybe that it was just the oil filter and planned to swap out the filter in SC. I topped off the oil and headed on my trip.

Got to MD and the check engine light came on. Stopped at Advance and they pulled code P011 (Cam position sensor). I called the dealer and spoke to the head tech and he said my turbo could be going out. A couple of hundred miles later it did go out. I ended up driving 50-55 the rest of the way to SC and all the way back to NJ. The tech showed me the turbo and the shaft had some play. Again, there was no sludge in the screens.

So far, I have almost 6k on the new turbo. I ran dealer fill conventional for 700 miles and switched to Red Line 5W-30. Next will be Red Line 5W-40. Having turbo failure shortly after getting a new one installed seems to happen more on legacygt.com than here. My only regret is not going with an aftermarket turbo when the second one failed. I figured it would take too long since I was completely stock and needed my car back right away.

A new turbo and a new cat will be expensive. Try to wait on the cat for a while if you can (unless it's the one in the up-pipe).

-Dennis

1 - 4 of 4 Posts