Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have hit another snag in the
decision making progress of my Forester STi build, and I was wondering if anyone could help me out.
Because of the very high cost of a manual transmission + install, my
forester XT is going to be an automatic : ( for at least a year
after I have most of my other parts I plan to buy installed. I recently
read somewhere that because of how long it takes for an automatic
transmission to get up in rpm's and gears compared with a manual one, a
turbo as large as a td05 18g will take a long time to hit full boost to
the point where it would supposedly be really annoying. After hearing
this I started wondering whether or not I should go smaller with a TD05
EVO III big 16g turbo instead. Do you think going with the 16g will
make much of a difference? And do you think the problem with added
turbo lag due to an automatic transmission is valid in the first place?
If so, if I did decide to go with the 18g as originally planned, could
this extra lag be fixed with some proper tuning?:icon_question:

·
Registered
04 SOLD!
944 Posts
Where in NJ are you? Im in Monmouth County...I have a 68HTA paired up with an Auto Trans...but I have a high stall converter so = no lag.

·
Registered
05 FXT Broken 5-speed
239 Posts
Tuning, the proper way, definantly will help. But yes, an 18G will be alittle more laggy than w/ a manual trans. I think a 16g would be w/ in couple hundred rpm of each other, depending who made the turbo. Tuning can go a long way.
You might as well go w/ the larger turbo, and work on getting used to it and/or find a good tuner.
Absubtle
CO

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Where in NJ are you? Im in Monmouth County...I have a 68HTA paired up with an Auto Trans...but I have a high stall converter so = no lag.
I am in ocean county. (bricktown) we dony see to many XTs around us do we? :biggrin:

Might be a stupid question, but what is a high stall converter???

·
Registered
04 SOLD!
944 Posts
I am in ocean county. (bricktown) we dony see to many XTs around us do we? :biggrin:

Might be a stupid question, but what is a high stall converter???
I'm right in Spring Lake Heights, I'm in Brick sometimes cause my buddy has an 04 STI in Brick...Theres a ton of Subies in Brick, just not XT's..

A high stall converter is part of the auto trans..when you raise the stall speed of it, it kinda "stalls" or free revs a little higher until the car takes off, allowing you to leave at a higher rpm, thus better acceleration..

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A high stall converter is part of the auto trans..when you raise the stall speed of it, it kinda "stalls" or free revs a little higher until the car takes off, allowing you to leave at a higher rpm, thus better acceleration..[/QUOTE]

Where did you go to get your torque converter's stall speed changed?
will any specialty garage near us do it? like Precision Tuning on rt. 88?

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
A high stall converter is part of the auto trans..when you raise the stall speed of it, it kinda "stalls" or free revs a little higher until the car takes off, allowing you to leave at a higher rpm, thus better acceleration..
Where did you go to get your torque converter's stall speed changed?
will any specialty garage near us do it? like Precision Tuning on rt. 88?[/QUOTE]

The torque converter has to be replaced with a high stall modified one. IPT is probably the best subaru automatic transmission shop and they're in NJ.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts