Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
2007 XT - 5MT ELH, EWG, E85, Kinugawa TD06SL 20G 8cm
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been collecting parts to do a major swap at once: 18G, Spearco TMIC, Injectors, Walbro, EWG, spark plugs, Grimmspeed cross-pipe, STi manifolds, Subtle splitter, DW750cc, Grimmspeed Boost Solenoid. The only part I'm missing is a Turbo Inlet, is the inlet replacement a good idea?

If the verdict is yes, I will only consider an APS.

·
Premium Member
2008 FSXT 4EAT
4,143 Posts
I have been collecting parts to do a major swap: 18G, Spearco TMIC, Injectors, Walbro, EWG, spark plugs, cross-pipe. The only part I'm missing is a Turbo Inlet, is the inlet replacement a good idea considering I will have the car protuned at 20psi?

If the verdict is yes, I will only consider an APS.
Yes, it makes sense to do an inlet, since you're doing injectors too. While you're at it, it might be worthwhile gutting your TGVs and installing some phenolic spacers.

Good call on the APS...very very nice kit.

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,566 Posts
Personally I'd stick with the stock hard plastic part (assuming it matches the new turbo) and just replace the horrible part from MAF to that inlet, most aftermarket silicon rurbo inlets are a worse shape that standard (many have a horrible 'swan neck' just prior to trubo entry just right for creating turbulent flow into the compressor, exactly what you DON'T want!) and due to the thicker wall have a smaller internal section anyway.

Simon

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
... While you're at it, it might be worthwhile gutting your TGVs and installing some phenolic spacers.
I was under the impression TGV and phenolic spacers are one of those worthless mods (ie., air intake) that produce negligible gains and could actually contribute to rough idle in cold climates??.

Personally I'd stick with the stock hard plastic part (assuming it matches the new turbo) and just replace the horrible part from MAF to that inlet, most aftermarket silicon rurbo inlets are a worse shape that standard (many have a horrible 'swan neck' just prior to trubo entry just right for creating turbulent flow into the compressor, exactly what you DON'T want!) and due to the thicker wall have a smaller internal section anyway.

Simon
Sir Simon, This is exactly why I would only consider the APS which is steel, no swan-neck and very thin side-wall. As far as the air-box to inlet connecting hose good thought.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5MT
942 Posts
APS still has the swan neck though. the small reducer has a harder curve to it and the larger 3" coupler is just a slight curve from my understanding it's because of location of the inlet and turbo being off set a bit. I just completed my TGV deletes and no rough idle here! just got back from South Dakota visiting family with -6 degrees and all is well!! I only recommend the TGV's IF your in the area, BUT NOT if your going to do it by it's self. ie... i did my fuel rails and while there i did the TGV's and Phenolic spacers.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT '06 STi 6MT
707 Posts
the APS kit is discontinued, just fyi!

i have one sitting here waiting to be installed. there's 2 silicone compressor inlet adapters. one for stock turbo sized inlets and one for 3" compressor inlets. both the silicone inlet connectors and after maf piece are 4 ply silicone. pretty damn solid if you ask me. the metal inlet tube itself is significantly larger than the stock plastic piece. this thing will be a huge improvement over the stock inlet, especially when properly tuned for it (along with other upgrades) later.

·
Registered
2007 FSTI and X 6 MT
22,252 Posts
What's up with the Gimmick? Do you think it's better than the stock inlet?

I've got one sitting in my garage waiting to be installed...
IMO, it fits like crap. I could not use my stock airbox with the gimmick.

APS still has the swan neck though. the small reducer has a harder curve to it and the larger 3" coupler is just a slight curve from my understanding it's because of location of the inlet and turbo being off set a bit. I just completed my TGV deletes and no rough idle here! just got back from South Dakota visiting family with -6 degrees and all is well!! I only recommend the TGV's IF your in the area, BUT NOT if your going to do it by it's self. ie... i did my fuel rails and while there i did the TGV's and Phenolic spacers.
I have photos somewhere on here of a FXT and STI inlet side by side where you can really see the bend,

the APS kit is discontinued, just fyi!

i have one sitting here waiting to be installed. there's 2 silicone compressor inlet adapters. one for stock turbo sized inlets and one for 3" compressor inlets. both the silicone inlet connectors and after maf piece are 4 ply silicone. pretty damn solid if you ask me. the metal inlet tube itself is significantly larger than the stock plastic piece. this thing will be a huge improvement over the stock inlet, especially when properly tuned for it (along with other upgrades) later.
APS really!! From the photos I have seen it looks like tehe best kit out.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
But how about the original question? Should I look into replacing the stock inlet or not?

Of course I will do a pressure test to test the stocker but still I have a feeling it will eventually leak?? Or worst yet, leak during the dyno tuning session...= worthless trip to Jorge's shop or DS1 (800 miles trip).

·
Registered
2008 FSXT M/T
4,167 Posts
just from that pic you can see the restrictions of the oem piece. if you are replacing your turbo, I WOULD DEF REPLACE THE STOCK INLET. a lot of times they tear from turbo installs anyways, good for piece of mind if you ask me. not to mention you might free up a few ponies...

·
Premium Member
2008 FSXT 4EAT
4,143 Posts
Samco inlet: $300

APS inlet: ~$260

What's included with the Samco inlet? If it's just the inlet hose, you're getting ripped off, IMO. The APS kit contains the inlet AND the after-MAF hose at a cheaper price.

·
Registered
2008 FSXT M/T
4,167 Posts
thats retail price, if you shop around ive seen them a little cheaper. its also way easier to install, doesnt require taking off the intake manifold. so the money you save in cost of the original product will end up costing a lot more installed!

they are both great products though and id be happy to have either.

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,566 Posts
definitely worthy of consideration:

Indeed worth considering not fitting it with that god aweful swan-neck - exactly what any decent turbo supplier will tell you you DO NOT want - worst case you get compressor surge and have to pull boost back to avoid it, what was the benefit then?

Also that photo is an exageration (deliberate if you want to sell it I guess!) as the stock part is oval and taller than it is wide (well it is on mine) so flow area isn't shown representatively.

Simon

·
Premium Member
2007 Forester XT 4EAT-VTD
2,138 Posts
Any one else have issues with mating the GMS turbo inlet and afterMAF hose to the stock air box?

This is a pretty serious question - once the stock inlet comes out in pieces it can't go back in if there is a fitment issue with the GMS product.

How about the Samco product? Does their inlet and afterMAF hose connect to the stock air box OK?

I can't render my car undriveable. I would rather have BOTH the GMS and Samco product on-hand and then sell the one that does not go in.

1 - 20 of 108 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.