Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Since I’m new to the turbo world, I don’t know what is normal and what’s not…

When leaving home in the morning, I hear a light “grinding noise” when I hit around 2k2 RPM (when turbo kicks in). It does this for the first few stops signs and disappears (I do not go full throttle when leaving). What is that noise and, more importantly, is it normal???

The engine does not have to be ice cold for this as it also happens when the ambient temperature is over 25 Celsius (77 F). If I just leave it for a few hours, here it is again.

So in short, here are the conditions when I hear the noise:
- I leave with the engine cold (about 1 minute warm up time)
- I leave with the engine warm (about 4-5 minutes warm up time)

I do not hear the noise:
- The turbo has kicked in a few time, typically after hiting a few stops/lights

Thanks

·
Registered
2007 Forester
45 Posts
I've experienced the same thing on my '07 turbo, though I'd describe it as more of a high pitched whine. I"m just starting to look into it...

·
Registered
2005 Forester 2.0XT AT
9 Posts
Same whining noice on my -05 XT2.0

I am going to change to a new belt and pulleys and hope it will solve the noice.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Darn, I was hoping for a "yeah, don't worry, we all got this" kind of answer ;) Pease do keep me posted on your investigations.

I'm half thinking on buying myself a dealer's road test. I'll let you guys know

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,813 Posts
Put a video camera in the car pointed at the dash so we can see the RPM's. Duplicate the noise and post up the video on YouTube and post a link here. Noises are a very hard thing to describe, so a video showing what you are doing to get that noise to happen, and hearing the noise itself will help out tremendously.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts