Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester 2.0XT AWD
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad has sold his forester 04, but took a '00 model in return (plus alot of cash of course).
Everything seemed fine and the seller seemed very reliable aswell.
Even took it for a quick test drive, but nothing seemed wrong.
However, when the deal had been completed and we were on the way home, it turned out there actually was something wrong, and not just a very small thingy.
When accelerating (or probaply when under heavy duty) it starts to lagg alot, as if the engine is about to die beceause of low revs.
I started thinking, but surely it has something to do with the turbo, it also starts at about 3K rpm usualy, and is most present in 5th gear on the highway.

Hopefully you guys can point me a bit in the right direction.
It doesn't smoke real badly, I hope this means it's not so bad (yet).
Are there any other owners who've had these kind of problems?

·
Registered
2004 Forester 2.0XT AWD
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After having had a lil chat with a mechanic, I'm not too sure now it's the turbo actually...
He mentioned several times that various parts could be severly filthy thus causing the problems.

Any other feedback is more then welcome!

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
99 S-turbo
28 Posts
I had the same thing on my forester when I was driving home after the purchase. It turned up to be the plugs. The knocking sensor was also changed, but it was more to turn of the check engine light.

·
Ol' Timer
2006 WRX Spec-C 6MT
5,961 Posts
You said it doesn't smoke "too bad." How much does it smoke, and what color?

Do you hear anything unusual? I would do a quick boost leak and compression test.

·
Registered
2004 Forester 2.0XT AWD
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it's not smoking at all actually, car hasn't done too many miles anyway (approx 90K).

I have just discovered oil sweat around one of the hoses on the intercooler, it's the left one under.

as far as I'm concerned the intercooler should only contain and circulate air... so surely there's something wrong at this point.
But how did it get there?

I've tried unplugging the lambda sensor also (the one close to the turbo), no diffrence.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
2007 FXT Sport M5
78 Posts
Roy,

Je moet the compressie en blow-by testen, als je veel blow-by hebt dan gaat er olie via je PCV lijn naar je intake. Daar komt de olie in je intercooler vandaan.

Pete

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
it's not smoking at all actually, car hasn't done too many miles anyway (approx 90K).

I have just discovered oil sweat around one of the hoses on the intercooler, it's the left one under.

as far as I'm concerned the intercooler should only contain and circulate air... so surely there's something wrong at this point.
But how did it get there?

I've tried unplugging the lambda sensor also (the one close to the turbo), no diffrence.

Any ideas?
The valve cover and PCV breather hoses go into the intake right before the turbo, and thus go through it into the intercooler. The only way to completely stop this is with a catch can of some sort.

·
Registered
2007 FXT Sport M5
78 Posts
Check out my tread on the home made AOS, I have not fully tested it but it should suffice to keep the oil in the motor and out of your IC.

·
Registered
2004 Forester 2.0XT AWD
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies so far guys.
The car has been up for sale including details of the problems... but obviously no one wants to buy a car with any sort of technical problems, even when the price is reasonable.
So we're at the point where the problem really should be fixed, and we're not taking it to a garage beceause they will undoubtly rip us off.
Anyway... since I didn't have a car myself I've been driving the forester quiete alot lately (which wasn't a pleasure this way, although it goes as quick as the speed limits will let me so that wasn't a problem), so I was also able to get a better notice of the problems/symptoms, haven't been able to do some work on it though and take things apart (also beceause the car was my daily drive).
However, the things I've been able to discover are as following:

The lagg isn't RPM dependable aswell as throttle dose, in diffrent gears it starts sooner or later.
Especialy in higher gears (4th and 5th for example) it's worse.
However, when driving in 5th for example, dosing the throttle very little it accelerates faster and smoother compared to more throttle.
In 2nd gear for example it starts lagging extremely at around 3,5K rpm, and when exceeding 5K rpm it suddenly goes like a rocket again.
At the point where it's lagging it really bounces back and forth like crazy, it's barely able to hold out (especialy in lower gears of course), so it's actually not even possible to do more then 80 mph.

I probaply forget to mention some other things i've noticed, but I was hoping someone could more accuraretly point me in the right direction with this information already.
If I had the possibility to take everything apart and check it for problems I would, but at the moment I simply don't have the time and needs to this.

Great thanks in advance

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,071 Posts
I just had sort of similar issues. Things to check, remove the IC and see if there is a lot of oil in there. If your IC is like mine (not positive) there is a metal pipe in front that had some smaller hoses attached to it that come from the valve covers. (PCV system) mine were gunked up pretty bad. If yours are clean them out with something. I used a wire to start then blew them out with air. Next check to see if your bypass valve's (BOV) diaphragm isn't damaged. I have info on that here:

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f88/high-mileage-recirc-valves-worth-checking-71143/

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
I've been having similar issues as well. My BOV doesn't appear to be leaking, but it doesn't seem to work smoothly. However, my wastegate actuator on the turbo is very rusty and i'm thinking that it isn't holding the wastegate closed under more load or under more throttle application.

I'd also check the front O2 sensor, plugs, wires, coilpack/s, air filter, fuel filter, fuel pump etc.

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,071 Posts
My waste-gate actuator was pretty rusty too. I removed the heat shield (always a fun time) and manipulated the arm and double checked the "C" clip was still in place. It felt like it was binding a little. I rotated the "C" clip a little and wanted to put some sort of lubrication on it. I was at a loss for what to use though since the temps in that area are so high. I ended up slathering it with some never seize for lack of a better option. I know it's not really a lube but all I could come up with. It did seem to help so far though.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
My waste-gate actuator was pretty rusty too. I removed the heat shield (always a fun time) and manipulated the arm and double checked the "C" clip was still in place. It felt like it was binding a little. I rotated the "C" clip a little and wanted to put some sort of lubrication on it. I was at a loss for what to use though since the temps in that area are so high. I ended up slathering it with some never seize for lack of a better option. I know it's not really a lube but all I could come up with. It did seem to help so far though.
I'm going to dig in there when I get a chance. The majority of my heatshields are just flopping around at this point due to the bolts rusting out and having to be drilled out when I had the STI up installed. I think I'm going to wrap my exhaust and maybe just throw a VF39 on there.... However, its always in the back of my mind that I would love to throw an external gate on it and not deal with the WGA at all.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts