Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
85 MR2
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been sifting through the forums and I haven't seen too much... Can you turbo an n/a? Would you recommend it? What options are available? I have been searching for turbo kits on the internet for a little while, haven't found too much... Maybe I'm doing it wrong.

·
Registered
85 MR2
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok... I found the links... I don't remember how I found them lol.

I freaking hate this 15 limit for a URL. I will post asap. Or you can delete this thread because it seems unnecessary.

My general feel: don't turbo an n/a. It's headache and money.

·
Registered
2003 XS
169 Posts
The NA 2.5 (why do people insist on putting a "/" in there?) is a poor performance platform and probably won't hold up to forced induction very well. The HGs are already suspect. It's cheaper to sell your X and buy an XT.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,502 Posts
I've been sifting through the forums and I haven't seen too much... Can you turbo an n/a? Would you recommend it? What options are available? I have been searching for turbo kits on the internet for a little while, haven't found too much... Maybe I'm doing it wrong.
Totally not recommended! :icon_eek: Still, if you want to see how it's done, check out the Member Journal for our '03 X below, or here's a link to the specific post. :wink:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
2008 LL Bean (4EAT)
4,784 Posts
... if you want to see how it's done, check out the Member Journal for our '03 X below, or here's a link to the specific post....
I don't see the turbo kit any more on AVO's website. Even if the OP wanted to spend $4,000 to add the kit to his NA engine, I don't think it's possible anymore.

·
Administrator
39,502 Posts
I don't see the turbo kit any more on AVO's website. Even if the OP wanted to spend $4,000 to add the kit to his NA engine, I don't think it's possible anymore.
They were closing out the ones they had left. We wanted to redo the AVO Turbo Kit, so I bought another complete kit for parts. I got a killer deal on it, so it worked out nicely for us! I'm sure a kit could be found if someone really wanted one. The Raptor Supercharger is the hot item now. :wink:

Bobby...

·
Administrator
39,502 Posts
The NA 2.5 (why do people insist on putting a "/" in there?) is a poor performance platform and probably won't hold up to forced induction very well. The HGs are already suspect. It's cheaper to sell your X and buy an XT.
It stands up perfectly if it's done properly. The one in our '03 X has been in & working perfectly for over 5 years. I had the original AVO Turbo Kit installed by a performance shop. I was never happy with the installation quality, so now that I have the time (retired) & the skills, My son & I are redoing the entire installation. I can assure you that it will be "perfect" when it's complete. :smile:

As to getting an XT. I did that last year & I still like the '03 X better. :wink:

Bobby...

·
Registered
441 Posts
Is all about how much money you got to spend and what you want to do with your car. I went the expensive and hard way which is for me the Exclusive one of a kind rare way. Forester NA turned to built motor/built automatic trans/Supercharger. Took me a while to gather up the parts and money to build this project. If you go turbo in your NA motor, you have limited power and the pistons are really weak on NA motors, trust me a broke a piston while been NA. At least put forged pistons and rods if you go turbo, for some added reliability, the other thing is the trans, it wont hold up that much torque and will break soon. It all about what you want to do with the car, drag racer, auto x, auto show, daily driver. I choose the daily driver/racer ways and its pretty expensive but hell lot of fun.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts