Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
06 FSTi
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Afternoon all.

Hope everyone is surviving the lockdown?

I picked up my personally sourced FSTi from Torque GT (Brilliant service if you ever wanted to go down the import route.) days before the lockdown went in to effect. I beat a hasty retreat back to Guernsey and the car has done little mileage since.

Anyway, as lockdown is starting to subside and we have had a glimpse of the light at the end of the tunnel my thoughts have moved back to the FSTi. What im after is incite in to how well they do on trackdays, the odd cheeky hill climb and spirited B road drives. Whats the main points that need upgrading? I dont want to ruin the comfort completely as it's still the car I will be doing long haul holidays with my kids when not flying, but willing to sacrifice some comfort.

Handling wise I see a thicker RARB is a must, but anything else that will compliement this? I'm also looking at coilovers and leaning towards MisterR's, but still find myself ummming and arring over a set of Cusco coilovers instead. Main point being the MisterR's can run pretty much standard height, unsure on the Cusco if they can as they don't seem to be popular in the Forester world.

Cooling how does the standard TMIC and rad handle cooling? If it's rubbish, anyone got any decent upgrade suggestions? I see their is a grimmspeed TMIC? Im not keen going down the FMIC option due to only running it at 300bhp and feel that would just make lag worse.

Brake wise how do the standard Brembo's hold up? I'm looking at disc and pad change for my own piece of mind, but again any recommendations?

Just to give an idea, the car was standard but now has a cosworth panel filter, uprated fuel pump and a reserved remap to 97ron.

·
Registered
06 2.5XT Manual
636 Posts
Hmm hopefully someone who knows what they're on about will reply for you soon... but whilst I have no fscts, figures or knowledge, I'm lead to believe the intercooler is decent, being as it's one of the sought after upgrades that a lot of XT owners start with.

But, ya know, if you do decide to go down the grimspeed route, I'll take that old rubbish tmic off your hands for a packet of hobknobs... 🤔 or carrots? (Seeing as you are from Guernsey and all...)

·
Registered
06 FSTi
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello mate,

Well in reply to your first post. Below is the new purchase. Still on the export english reg due to covid reasons, but a completely standard 06 STi with 27,587 miles on the clock. Full Japanese history with the car and an underneith you could of eaten your dinner off :D.

In reply to your second post, I was under the impression it was the Impreza STi TMIC that is the holy grail. But if I do go Grimmspeed I will give you first dibs on the current one, even if you are a part time crapaud. :p

·
Registered
2004 Forester STI
400 Posts
Get a white line rear arb and replace the drop links that connect them. As long as you don’t mental get a 24mm diameter one you’ll be able to use the oem mounting points. People change them to stout mounts from Perrin or white line units. I ran my prodrive 22mm bar with the oem mounting points.

I’d also invest in a set of subframe lockout bolts from white line. Best £30 you’ll spend. You’ll have a decent handling foz on the stock suspension set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2004 forester sti
1,875 Posts
Get a white line rear arb and replace the drop links that connect them. As long as you don’t mental get a 34mm diameter one you’ll be able to use the oem mounting points. People change them to stout mounts from Perrin or white line units. I ran my prodrive 22mm bar with the oem mounting points.

I’d also invest in a set of subframe lockout bolts from white line. Best £30 you’ll spend. You’ll have a decent handling foz on the stock suspension set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[

·
Registered
2008 GRB 20th anniversary 6 MT
6,515 Posts
It looks like you have bought a well looked after low mileage example, enjoy it!
They are great cars. I had owned mine for 5.5 years from 14k miles when bought to 63k miles when sold and it was my single car that did everything; daily driver, trackdays, trips to ski resorts, road trips across Europe etc.
I have good memories from that car.
Here is what I had done to mine:
The most cost effective and noticeable modification is a 21mm rear ARB, you will need to upgrade its mounts as well as they are renown to snap.
Coilovers are a very personal and subjective modification, from what I've learnt I wouldn't fit them to my car unless I have tried them in someone else's car first.
Even then you can't be sure how they will perform in the long term. One man's gold is another one's $hit. Personally, I'd now always prefer a good fixed perch setup for a road car.

·
Registered
06 FSTi
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies guys. I have to say, even though I haven't driven it much this is by far one of my fav cars i've owned I absolutely love it.

Fpan thanks for the link, i'm going to have a browse over what you did as sounds like you used yours in a very similar fasion to what I have planned. Long distance European trips with some trackdays thrown in.

·
Registered
2004 Forester STi
66 Posts
Looks like a good one - My car also came from Torque GT & would also recommend them.
You can fit the larger IC from the Hatchback 09+ Impreza STi, which makes a good upgrade over the FSTi one (which is the same as the GD WRX) - it's larger than any of the GD Impreza STI ones including the JDM/spec C etc, & people make reasonable power on them in the USA (the hatch & saloon Impreza is not so common in UK)

Here's a pic of mine:

Suspension wise, the OEM inverted dampers are good IMO. There are springs available second hand - STI pinks, RSR TI2000, I have both, but have only tried the pinks so far - Good road car spring, possibly a bit soft for the track, but I still need to get at a rear ARB which might change things.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts