Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
09 Forester 2.5X
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Alright, in a earlier thread I found that a tune is required for any air intake upgrades or full exhaust upgrades. If I bought a header, that would require a tune, right? And what, is it like $400 bucks for a tune? Or is it less expensive on a NA motor? If I need to tune for either the header or crank pulley upgrades, can anyone point me to some good reading on tuning?

Also, just found this thing:

Perrin Lightweight Crank Pulley for 02-09 Subaru WRX & STi, from JSC Speed

Wouldn't need a tune for that, right? Would it fit on the NA Forester engine? I would loooove to have my RPMs drop faster than what they do now when I change gears. Thanks for all the help so far with my first brand new Forester :icon_biggrin:

Edit:
Just found this in the sticky
Lightweight crank pulleys are pretty much universal across the whole subaru line of cars (including turbo models).

Upgraded camshafts and other internals are just the same as parts for the N/A impreza (same EJ25 motor). Just be aware that 98' foresters and a small number of 99' Foresters had the DOHC motor. The rest have the SOHC. TWE makes cams/internals, and Delta Cams can regrind your stock cams to be more aggressive for a decent price. Untitled Document
So that answers the compatibility part. What about tuning though?

·
Registered
2014 2.0XT CVT
3,069 Posts
I think you'll find that the RPMs dropping slowly when shifting is due to the ECU holding the RPMs and even in some cases increasing the RPMs which to me would void out the idea of having lightweight pulleys in order to get the RPMs to drop quicker.

·
Registered
09 Forester 2.5X
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ooo nice. That thing looks sexy. I'll e-mail them and post back what they say. Good to hear about the header...now I'm gonna have to get one. I NEED RUMBLE

·
Registered
2005 Legacy GT
3,679 Posts
Ooo nice. That thing looks sexy. I'll e-mail them and post back what they say. Good to hear about the header...now I'm gonna have to get one. I NEED RUMBLE

Let us know what Rallitek says. And when you get the header, LMK if you need any help with the install. I'm an hour away in Cville and would be glad to help out

·
Registered
09 Forester 2.5X
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
UPDATE!

Mike,

We are working with Cobb to expand the model applications of our Accessport. We do not have a date on the firmware expansion at this time. You are safe to use the header without tuning. We have done quite a bit of dyno tuning on the Impreza models which are very similar.

Please let us know if you have any questions on tuning or upgrades or anything about your Forester. We are glad to help.

Thank you,

Sean Sexton, VP Subaru - Ipd/RalliTEK

1 - 7 of 7 Posts