Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
04 forester xt
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, i was hoping to get some help since im new to suby. i have a couple of questions that i cant seem to get a clear answer on, mainly tuning. the first things i did to the forester is bought a perrin intake and greddy upipe, not knowing that intakes arent needed and cause problems with ap tuning. i do want to keep the intake on though.

my mechanic who specializes in subies and evos says he has the cable to tune it , this would be by street tuning not dyno. i would have to get a wideband of course.is this a ok method for daily driving, i wont race it or anything.

i cant seem to find downpipes that have an extra bung for a wideband though.im thinking of going with a helix catted and whisper catback. i need to hear your opinions on streetuning, i guess this is called opensource? this seems alot cheaper than going ap way since i would just have to get aem wideband for a couple hundred and i think he charges around 90$ to street tune. i dont care about multiple maps and all that. i just want a specific safe tune that allows me to keep the inake and not having to worry about ots maps running rich or lean.plus after shelling the money for exhaust 700 for ap seems to much plus having to pay for dyno tune on top of that

am i safe right now with what i have. i read these things are pig rich from factory if the intake and upipe leaned things it wouldnt be a problem.any thoughts on this kind of tuning would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2004 Subaru FXT MT
1,853 Posts
you don't need to tune for an intake that has the same size tube. You also don't need to tune for an uppipe.

As for dp's, there are many out there with an extra o2 bung for a wideband. I know for sure the Cobb and TurboXS dp's do. Many others I'm sure do as well.

As for opensource street tuning, its perfectly safe. There are many folks that do this, myself included. There are many arguements for and against the various methods of tuning and tuning platforms, and frankly, it comes down to personal opinion and preference.

I personally prefer road tuning. Road tuning offers actual loads and conditions, something you can't simulate perfectly on a dyno. Obviously there are pitfalls to road tuning, such as its not a controlled environment.

As for opensource being the platform to tune from as opposed to something like a Cobb AP or UTEC, this has been argued about since the dawn of time. Search this forum as we've had some heated discussions about this. The short and sweet of it is that opensource is a cheap, easy method to tune. There are other platforms that cost a lot of money and have bells and whistles to them, but many/most people don't use those bells and whistles...

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 4eat
550 Posts
opensourcing is definitely a less expensive option, and you can get great results from it and tune as you add mods onto your car. if you do it though, remember to save your stock map. not once, but a few times. just in case something happens that way you still have it. im saving mine to my computer, external hardrive, and my ipod. make sure you do plenty of research before doing anything though, so you dont blow anything up. good luck!!

·
Registered
2006 Forester XTL
94 Posts
spec,
Street tuning, in general, is done without a dyno. It can be done with AP, Utek, or Opensource. It just means to tune via trial-and-error while driving.

You don't absolutely have to have a wideband, but it will give you finer control of your tuning parameters. If your tuner knows their stuff they should be able to get you tuned pretty well and safe without it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts