Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
MY09 XSn 2.0 Diesel 6MT
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the last 3 weeks I've been testing and using a Synergy tuning module from ENERGY DIESEL TUNING
Ron and Darren have supplied me with a generic tuning module so that I can help by providing comparative notes / observations in preparation for their production (optimised) version for the Subaru Diesel.

Of the 9 possible settings two have worked without issue, the other seven have produced a range of "that's different" observations. But this was as expected. Ron Jones now has his own Outback 2.0D on which he is optimising the setup, initially stock, but now with a K&N panel filter (supplied by myself, won in a comp & unused). His initial comments suggest that a free flow panel filter will give benefits when used with a tuning module.

On the recent UptNothRing thing run around Glossop town centre I was able to use it in hooligan mode. No economy figures, but a definite 'whooo, that's quick' from about 2200rpm onwards.

In towing mode it provides more low down flexibility and good pickup from 1800rpm. But the best news is an improvement in economy of 4 to 5 mpg, returning 31mpg on the journey home from the NEC. On the 4 days I was towing we covered 567mls, [email protected] (51mph), giving an MPG range between 29 and a wind assisted :icon_arrow: 37.

We're hoping that the optimised tuning module will re ready by the end of this month, so I'll post back in due course.

Mike.

·
Registered
MY09 XSn 2.0 Diesel 6MT
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
interesting. Will be nice to hear about the production unit. Any information about what the cost will be?
The current UK price is from £165 inc vat & delivery for DIY fitting. I assume that they will charge additional postage for non UK customers.

And welcome to the Forum, another Diesel :woohoo:

Mike.

·
Registered
2010 Forester XE Diesel
47 Posts
What kind of thing are you towing? Weight etc? I have not yet towed anything with it but when I did with my previous car I didnt notice that much higher figures for such low speed, but I was towing light stuff.

I got nice figures when driving home the car from the dealer yesterday (no towing). It was half tank when I started and I could go all the 500km without refuel. The meter said 6.8l / 100km (34.5 mpg?).

The interesting thing with that tuning box is that it supports different modes (maybe they all do?). Would the towing mode be suitable for light off-road when you want better low-end?

Price sounds good as well!

·
Registered
MY09 XSn 2.0 Diesel 6MT
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What kind of thing are you towing? Weight etc? I have not yet towed anything with it but when I did with my previous car I didnt notice that much higher figures for such low speed, but I was towing light stuff.
I got nice figures when driving home the car from the dealer yesterday (no towing). It was half tank when I started and I could go all the 500km without refuel. The meter said 6.8l / 100km (34.5 mpg?).

The interesting thing with that tuning box is that it supports different modes (maybe they all do?). Would the towing mode be suitable for light off-road when you want better low-end?

Price sounds good as well!
I've towed 2 caravans with the Forester. A Stirling Eccles (1460Kg-ish & 7.2m long) and our current Lunar Lexon (1380Kg-ish & 7.3m long). I reduced my towing speeds when we had the Honda Accord-Stirling Eccles outfit to improve economy (56mph on the speedo in 5th). I've continued this with the Forester and it's proved useful as a simplistic point of reference. The Forester-Eccles outfit gave an improvement of just over 2mpg, but it has worse solo figures.

I think there may be 2 other tuning modules that have selectable settings, but don't quote me. I've not considered light off-road use, other than access to caravan/farm sites, but yes, I can envisage that the towing mode would be suitable.

As for price, most of the modules / re-maps available in the UK seem to cost £495 and over. But they do have sexy advertising :huh::shake:

·
Registered
2010 Forester XE Diesel
47 Posts
I mainly use the car without towing and when I do I usually tow light stuff.

I really enjoy the low diesel consumption I get right now (stock) but I also think it is running too lean on low revs.
It is almost dead til 1800rpm when it pulls very nicely.
I bet I will get used to it. If not I will consider some sort of tuning model so long as it doesn't affect my overall consumption too much.

I am not looking for something that makes me quicker at 0-60. I am a fan of newton not horses :)

·
Premium Member
2015 XC diesel CVT
4,098 Posts
Greetings, eccentric, yet another dieseler here.
I'd tend to agree that the fuel mapping is very conservative below perhaps 1800rpm. Problem is, we've got to tailor fuelling to boost at those low revs. Slightly too much fuel vs boost will create much more smoke than stock and then you've more DPF regens to consider.

There's an even cheaper Digital box available, from a German Ebay seller. Search under "digital ASA CR" and you'll find their listings. Seemed like a knowledgeable vendor when I contacted him recently although I can't vouch for the product.

·
Registered
2010 Forester XE Diesel
47 Posts
greetings!

ah all these choices. I tried another diesel the other day and I was surprised to notice that I wasnt running on that much lower revs on that one (volvo). But it felt like it. I was basically more vibration so my body registers it as lower revs, even though it was not the case. Pretty amazing how vibration free the subaru is.

the consumption figures I get with the way I drive at the moment makes we think I should wait with tuning. Unless it can easily be switched between different modes.

And I dont want smoke. Currently it feels like nothing is coming out of the exhaust pipes. Absolutely no sound at all (strange) and no smoke whatsoever.

How long have you gone with your foz diesels? Will the 6MT get smoother eventually?

·
Premium Member
2015 XC diesel CVT
4,098 Posts
i have a year and 25k miles so far. The gearbox does loosen up, the biggest change I found was by replacing the fluid; I used Redline "smurfblood".

My lifetime mpg is somewhere around 42 (imperial).

·
Registered
MY09 XSn 2.0 Diesel 6MT
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If we engage our "sensible heads", the perceived wisdom would suggest that we wait until about 10000mls / 16000km before we start tuning the engine. However, I misplaced the switch for that option eons ago and started my tuning at approx. 7500mls :biggrin::crazy:

I had started work on the IC shroud-Exhaust-Induction prior to this, and consider these mods to be preparation for the tuning stage.

·
Registered
2010 Forester XE Diesel
47 Posts
I am checking this one out. They have a cheaper version but this one looks more fun Google Translate

comes with 4 main programs specifically made for the forester. All modes can also be toned down or up but remaining the character of the "curve".

Automatically disables during cold start, if you want.

They hook up to 3 different points (I think) on the engine which gives better performance.

With the currently low GBP it would cost you 440 pounds. I am sure there are local similar options available in UK at a slightly lower price. If you find one let me know since the pound is week and the VAT low I could save some buying from UK. :)

I think I will do the sensible ;) and go for 16 000km before starting to fiddle around too much. I am at exactly half that now.

·
Registered
09 Forester Diesel
64 Posts
There are a few cars going around with 180 PS.......

But you have to speak to someone at ECUtek, or someone who knows what he is doing.

·
Registered
MY09 XSn 2.0 Diesel 6MT
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Update

I received the updated Synergy 1cr from Ron Jones last week Tuning-diesels for cheaper diesel tuning. and this is the link to his web site where he can be contacted.

This unit differs slightly in that it has a single rotary switch for selecting the power settings and has been supplied to myself with a cabin switch and temperature sensor for testing/evaluation. It must be made clear that this current Synergy 1cr is still a 'work in progress' unit and may/may not be close to the final specification.

I've done 3 comparative drives with this unit and initial tests of 5 of the 9 settings so far. A 180ml round trip up the A1 on setting 7 gave improved economy of 47.4mpg (70mph/6th) against previous figures of 44/45mpg for the same journey. My next drive north will be done on setting 1 to establish what the best economy is.

On settings 1 & 2 the power delivery was smooth and progressive, while on 7 there is a definite surge from 2500rpm. I'll be testing settings 3/4/5/6 in due course. Other testing on the list is to include the use of one of the 'super' fuels and fuel additives for both power and economy.

The original Synergy is now on loan to another Forum member for benchmark testing on a stock Diesel for comparison against my modded Diesel.

________
Update 2:- My 2nd drive north has returned economy figures of 47.1mpg (70mph/6th) with the Synergy 1cr on setting 3. This is slightly lower than the previous journey (there had been an expectation for some improvement). Since the SH has the aerodynamics of a brick, reducing the speed does give improved economy.

I've also been testing setting 3 which has given good power delivery.

Mike.

·
Registered
MY09 XSn 2.0 Diesel 6MT
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update 3

I've now tested all 9 of the power settings on the Synergy 1cr. Six of them are very usable, one is liveable with, the final two not so. Of interest, I was able to record the best economy of 49mpg on the 180ml out&return drive to Gateshead on setting 9, one of the two unusable settings ?. But let me re-state that the Synergy 1cr is still "work in progress" and this is not the final version. So expect better.

I'm now using setting 7 on a daily basis and have just filled up with Shell V-Power Diesel, at 113.9p / Ltr.
:icon_question: :puke:

For those who have taken pity, I'm available for adoption as your "token old person to be kept in the lifestyle to which they aspire". :biggrin:

Mike.

·
Registered
MY09 XSn 2.0 Diesel 6MT
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
are you able to change power setting while driving or do you need to stop/start the car as well?
With the unit I'm testing it's necessary to stop the car to make the change. My understanding is that an optional cabin switch will be available with 2 settings, Low and a Power setting of your choice.

If you want to select all 9 settings from within the cabin, the unit would also need to be within the cabin.

·
Registered
MY09 XSn 2.0 Diesel 6MT
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update 4

After the Subaru recall for the ECU re-flash there was small change in the way the Synergy 1cr performed. As a result, Ron Jones asked for it's return so that he could change the mapping/settings to cater for the ECU changes.

It went back last week and the withdrawal symptoms started immediately, worsening each time I drove the Forester. You become so used to having the benefits, that it's only after it's gone does the realisation set in :icon_sad:

After 300+mls the throttle response is poor in comparison and the economy is worse. On my Gateshead run to visit a hospital bound mum, it dropped down to 44mpg.

Hopefully I'll get the Synergy 1cr back within a couple of weeks, so I'll re-post then.

Mike.

ps: Do we know if there are any other Diesel owners with tuning boxes or re-maps ? If so please post your results.

·
Registered
2009 2.0 DX
4 Posts
After the Subaru recall for the ECU re-flash ...
Hi everybody, I got the 2.0D since JAN 09. Very happy with almost everything on this car. Most significant advantages for me are comfort - spaces - economy - dieso engine torque and safety. My forester scores high in all areas a potential buyer of an SUV could be interested. It is very intersting that european media did not embrace new forester by the same enthusiasm as their collegues on other side of the atlantic did. Anyway, boxer diesel (so far...) is simply unbelievable.

Now, I want to ask diesel owners if they know about the ECU re-flash by Subary ; Did it take place only in UK or throughout europe.
Again glad to be with all you in the best forester site worldwide

1 - 20 of 43 Posts