Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Forester 2.5xt/sti
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!
My2005 forester 2.5xt automatic scoobie died and was resurrected with a WRX STi engine. It runs well but I think it needs to be tuned. When I crank the Engine the car starts just fine but it tends to rev up here and there when its idling. Is there something i can buy in order to tune my car like an acces port and some maps? I am completely clueless all I know is that somehow i have an STi motor in my car and I just want it to run as best as possible. Please note that I am car illiterate so please have patience with me.
thank you all!:banana:

·
Registered
2004 Subaru FXT MT
1,841 Posts
Does it do the idle rev jump only with the AC on?... (its supposed to do that)

·
Registered
05 FXT
1,540 Posts
Or possibly any vacuum leaks?

To your tuning questions, there are 2 main/popular options. One as you mentioned is the Cobb Accessport. The other would be Opensource tuning.

For the Cobb Accessport, they're setup to be pretty user friendly and semi plug and play. Negative is you're stuck loading presetup maps (which there should be one fairly similar to your setup), or paying for a protune.

Opensource is software you can download, and with the use of a tactrix cable, you can program the ECU yourself or have someone else do it. However it's significantly more research intensive, and if you're not comfortable and knowledgable with engines and tuning logic, than you 1: might make things worse, or 2: cause damage in the end. There are a fair number of people that do O/S tuning at a cost, but you're hoping they're knowledgable as well.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
2,132 Posts
Really? Are you sure this is true because I could have sworn I've tuned my car and a few other people's cars with Cobb Accessports.. I didn't pay anyone to do this and they didn't pay me to do this for them... no money was exchanged.. Just sayin.. =P

For the Cobb Accessport, they're setup to be pretty user friendly and semi plug and play. Negative is you're stuck loading presetup maps (which there should be one fairly similar to your setup), or paying for a protune.

·
Registered
13 Forester XT 4EAT
4,167 Posts
^^He ain't lying. You don't "have" to get a protune. You can use off the shelf maps or tune it yourself also.

·
Registered
05 FXT
1,540 Posts
^ Sorry, shorten based on the time rift I owned my AP.

History lesson, there was the AP version 1 or V1 for short and V2. For V1 to tune yourself, you had to buy an add on package called Street Tuner (ST) which was another kick to the money bin and like the AP itself was specific to the year/model/tranny you have (so finding a used one for a fozzy is essentially impossible).

For Version 2 which is what is currently available, Cobb does offer the software free on their website, so I stand corrected. Thanks for setting me straight guys!

To which the big advantage of Cobb tuning vs others, real time tuning. With the open source stuff, you can't make changes as you run. It's an iterative process of change and test, change and test.

·
Registered
2004 Subaru FXT MT
1,841 Posts
To which the big advantage of Cobb tuning vs others, real time tuning. With the open source stuff, you can't make changes as you run. It's an iterative process of change and test, change and test.
This is the one reason I've considered getting a v2 AP to play around with. The only feature opensource lacks that would really like is realtime tuning. I don't care for boost and fueling, and all of the other tweaks we do, but timing. I would really like to be able to play with timing realtime.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts