Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I am super new here so I don’t know if this has come up before

Long story short I had my car tuned a few months ago and now it vibrates as soon as boost hits. I know it is a CVT and they get pretty weak if running more than factory power

But the thing is I had coilovers installed a few months ago but didn’t get an alignment done (yes not the smartest move). And I have “cheap tyres” on.

So my question is I don’t know if it’s my CVT or me losing traction because of bad tyres.

On the other hand, I did have a bad cv shaft leaking tranny oil which I fixed yesterday. So do I need to just get the tranny serviced and topped up with oil? Or would I need a full rebuild?

ps: car has a cat back and bov and tuned to 153kw atw with 309 NM of torque. It also has 114,000km (roughly 70,000 miles)

Any help would be appreciated
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2022 Forester Limited 2018 Forester XT
15,627 Posts
What is your concern? Losing traction or vibration. New tires and balance is first step. You need to insure correct tranny level

·
Registered
352 Posts
so much missing info....

How long after the tune did the vibration start? or did it start before the new tires/struts but still shortly after the tune or months or years after tune?

What date the vibration start compared to the install dates of the tune, tires, and struts?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What is your concern? Losing traction or vibration. New tires and balance is first step. You need to insure correct tranny level
thanks for the reply

my concern is that I can’t figure out if the car is losing traction or if it’s a vibration in the tranny. My tyres appear just fine plenty of tread and I already balanced them and aligned them. I am going to book the tranny in for a service next week or so.

so much missing info....

How long after the tune did the vibration start? or did it start before the new tires/struts but still shortly after the tune or months or years after tune?

What date the vibration start compared to the install dates of the tune, tires, and struts?
thanks for the reply

I did the tune end of last year. I had these wheels and tyres long before I tuned the car. I installed the struts after but they ran fine. Vibration started around 2 months ago. I don’t know if it’s due to wheels not being aligned and tyres wearing out unevenly or just my tranny falling apart

·
Registered
2016 XT
284 Posts
When did the problem start? before or after the drive shaft oil seal replacement?

You will need to top up or replace the Front diff/gear oil, its separate from the cvt oil. T70 torx bit to drain on the very front ally trans case and a 14mm silver coloured plug approx 150mm or so to the left of it (looking from the rear of car) for the level. Fill by removing the breather on the right hand side of diff case above the other drive shaft. Check for excess metal savings in the gear oil..

Out of curiosity who did the tune?

A full wheel alignment would be the first thing I'd go with after the diff oil check.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.