Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Audi A6 Auto
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Been lurking here over the past week as I'm going to test drive a new UK spec XT this Friday.
I know most users here are USA by the looks of things but the UK spec XT is basically the top specification model over here with all the bells and whistles, leather, sat nav, elec tailgate, turbo engine etc.

I'm currently in a 2012 Audi A6 Avant which Is a superb vehicle but I have quite an active lifestyle driving around mountains and on trails through the Wales and the Lake District and I'm starting to fear for its sleek body work and low ground clearance, I also work on numerous construction sites which means suspect ground conditions a lot of the time, I also have a large Rhodesian Ridgeback that gets ferried around too!

I need a vehicle that can eat motorway miles comfortably then turn its hand to nefarious terrain when needed, I've looked into he competition but their AWD systems are seriously behind the Foresters systems from what I can tell, even the Freelander which is made about 10 miles from me seems to be more about the show than the go!

I did look at a standard model and was left feeling a bit flat by it but could see the potential for a better spec model to more suit my needs so I've lined up a test drive for the XT this Friday from the only dealer within a hundred miles of me! Lol!

I think my biggest fear will be coming from the Audi's simply excellent interior to something a little more utility biased in the Forester.

So any tips or advice you can give to a complete Soob-noob will be well appreciated!

:icon_biggrin:

·
Registered
2014 Forester Auto box
124 Posts
Hi Sted,
I went through the same pre-purchasing situation last summer. As a expat from the UK, living in Hong Kong, our roads remain the same set-up as the UK. The terrain in HK's New Territories (where I live) is hilly, road surfaces not ideal. Dial in the annual typhoon season, you'll see allot of all-wheelers in this part of HK.

Buying a new car can be stressful. I well remember writing the cheque for my new XT (PG 150) and breaking out into a sweat thinking, have I done the right thing? Is this Suub really the right car for me? Will it really do the job I need? etc etc. Happily, after 7 months of driving some 6000Km's, my car purchase has worked out 100%.

There's been 3 slippery road situations where PG150's trick all-wheel drive has saved me. Its X mode has made easy work of the steep rutted tracks I travel. It cruises effortlessly on motorways. I've had zero faults, economy is reasonable for its size and class. Speed performance of the XT is fab, put the new XT into Sports or Sports-Sharp modes, nothing in its class will come close.

I tried several compact SUV makes (Mazda, Ford, Nissan, Audi to name some) prior to buying but they didn't delivery the comprehensive package of price, practicality and performance of the XT.

Hope this helps.
Mark

·
Registered
2012 Audi A6 Auto
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Took the XT for a spin today, the looks have really grown on me, my biggest fear that I wouldn't like the cabin didn't really materialise, I thought it was fine, obviously not Germanic in quality but still ok.

Pros:
Great engine, looks, equipment level, all round feeling of the car.

Cons:
Infotainment system is rubbish, highest bracket for vehicle excise duty at 470 pound a year, same as a Ferrari!

So-so's.....

The seats were actually pretty comfortable but they did feel a little short for 6'1" me though it's not a deal breaker.

Am pretty much sold to be honest, need to step away for a good think though, be tough ditching the understated cool and economics of the Audi to go to the nutty Japanese fighting machine!

·
Registered
2014 XE CVT
1,362 Posts
Bit of a Q car in that it is faster than people expect. I notice that the XT doesn't get the self levelling rear suspension as on the lesser models.

I did try a non-turbo lineartronic last year and was quite impressed, but am sticking with my SH diesel for now. If I did buy an SJ I'd get a full size steel spare to replace the cost-saver.

Not sure that Audis are cool any longer, seem to have replaced BMWs as the cars that the Mr Toads buy these days.

·
Premium Member
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
12,780 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Audi A6 Auto
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bit of a Q car in that it is faster than people expect. I notice that the XT doesn't get the self levelling rear suspension as on the lesser models.

I did try a non-turbo lineartronic last year and was quite impressed, but am sticking with my SH diesel for now. If I did buy an SJ I'd get a full size steel spare to replace the cost-saver.

Not sure that Audis are cool any longer, seem to have replaced BMWs as the cars that the Mr Toads buy these days.
Haha! No wonder I can't get out at junctions! I know what you mean though mate mate, some right biffs in Audis out there, I assure you I'm not one of them!

One thing I did find a bit pointless was the powered tailgate, can't help thinking the money would have been better spent on a better nav system, I use the nav a lot!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts