Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Forester T/tb auto
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My speedometer only works when i am accelerating. A second after i let my foot off the gas the speedometer drops to zero again. When i hit it again it picks back up but is kinda jumpy.

I have a flashing power light but no CEL. I have also replaced the VSS and the issue still remains. i have lost abit of fuel economy because of this issue and the transmission shifts weird. What should i check next???

·
Registered
1998 Forester Limited Five speed manual
94 Posts
Check if your speedo cable is busted, it goes from your transmission too your dash. One long plastic tube.

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,014 Posts
I'm confused... Your profile says you have an automatic, but then you state you replaced the VSS.
The 4-speed Automatic has two VSS sensors on it though and they're both integral to the transmission harness and cannot be changed individually without splicing wires.

It honestly sounds like a wiring issue, but then the question is which wire...

·
Registered
1997 Forester T/tb auto
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i replaced vss number 2 which is on the tranny underneath the intercooler (on the passenger side in your country). I did the secret handshake with the gear shift and that was the only code i got from the TCU. I also think its a wiring issue. i am mechanically inclined but not so much electrically....

·
Registered
1997 Forester T/tb auto
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update.. i re-grounded the transmission and visually inspected the harness. still no difference. I installed a volt meter and have found while im driving at night with headlights and fogs on, once i brake the voltage drops from 14's to 12's.. i believe i have a short somewhere...

·
Registered
1997 Forester T/tb auto
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
another update.. i swapped a cluster from another forester and the problem still persists. i can now rule out the cluster... im gonna try and attack the wiring next..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts