Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
AceForEster and I went on a trip this weekend. The roads normally aren't real gnarly, but due to the weather (and its effects on some of the roads), we decided to cut the trip in half...and then later, we decided to cut what was LEFT of the trip in half. Some parts of Wedgwood Rd (in/near Nederland, CO) are much more exciting in the winter than in the summer :icon_wink:

(These pictures weren't taken in the places that endangered the whiteness of my underwear...hey, that reminds me--I should plan a trip that includes Lickskillet Rd...)

Afterward, we had a late lunch at the Black Forest Restaurant. It's a pretty swanky place to be wearing snowpants. My boots suddenly disintegrated that morning too, so I was also wearing sneakers augmented with wool socks and plastic bags. :icon_rolleyes:

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haha, yeah got some good snow down by deckers too!
What the :censored:!? A reply to my post appeared after only 100 seconds? That's gotta be a new record...It's a reply with a picture attached, too! :icon_eek:

·
Registered
03 Forester XS
124 Posts
more exciting in the winter than in the summer :icon_wink:
Oh, I think there was way too much excitement than I planned for! I did not like it when my all season (relatively new) Falcon tiers turned into skies; especially going down a hill! I am sorry for the short and "exciting" trip.

.... Good photos by the way.

·
Registered
2007 Outback 2.5i
490 Posts
I should plan a trip that includes Lickskillet Rd...)
Switzerland trail is just West of Gold Hill. That's a nice drive.
Oh, I think there was way too much excitement than I planned for! I did not like it when my all season (relatively new) Falcon tiers turned into skies; especially going down a hill! I am sorry for the short and "exciting" trip.
Get some better "shoes", especially since it looks like you take it off pavement often. I went with the Geos for two main reasons:
1) Wanted sturdier tire that didn't get cut up as easy on gravel roads;
2) Better traction offroad.

Ice and snow, especially on steep hills, is evil. The Geos are OK, but if it gets too slippery, either studs or chains are the key (chains might be better as they are removable).

Nice pictures. Where exactly did you go?

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Yup, the eastern 2/3 of Switzerland Trail was originally part of Plan A. I nixed it due to the weather and the trail's width. I seem to remember there being very few places where you can turn around on the eastern half of Switzerland Trail, so I thought it was too much of a risk when I didn't know how much snow was on the road. The western 1/3 of Switzerland trail is pretty stoney for someone with only all-season tires. Last summer, I got through, but my knuckles were whitening :icon_wink: Last winter, the western 1/3 of Switzerland Trail had semi-deep ruts and deep re-frozen snow (AKA "ice"), so even if I COULD have seen the rocks, it still wasn't a good idea :icon_confused:

Where exactly did you go?
Pretty much just S Beaver Creek Rd and Wedgwood Rd (which connects to S Beaver Creek Rd). I'm not sure what city they're officially a part of, but they're about 5 miles SE of Nederland. S Beaver Creek Rd connects to 72.

·
Registered
2003 XS MT
5,522 Posts
+1 on chains. they are relatively cheap, easy to throw on if you need them and easy to carry with you. They are in my recovery kit whenever I go out in the winter.

·
Registered
03 Forester XS
124 Posts

Get some better "shoes", especially since it looks like you take it off pavement often. I went with the Geos for two main reasons:
I am definitely looking into getting some better tiers. What kind of Geos do you have? Is that all season or snow/off road tiers? Where do they sell them?

·
Registered
2003 XS MT
5,522 Posts
Subacool has the best tires for off and on road use in my opinion, they do an admirable job in all sorts of conditions. They are the Geolander A/T-S, you can buy then about anywhere. I considered them, but did mostly offroading and so went with the more aggressive General Grabber AT2.

·
Registered
03 Forester XS
124 Posts
Thanks! Will check them out. Since my Falken tiers are still (relatively) new (about ~10-15K on them) would you keep them as summer tiers and then get the Geolander as 'winter tiers' or get something else especially for the winter?

I will have to get something because the current Falken tiers and snow just don't mix for these 'all season tiers'.

What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
2003 XS MT
5,522 Posts
I would say go with the winterforce. I bought them because they are also mud rated, they do quite well offroad. I've had them in about every offroad situation imaginable, and while they are not quite as good as the Grabbers on dry rock and sand, they do very well. The Geolanders would be a good substitute/replacement for your all seasons. The winterforce will really excel if you want them for winter use + offroad.

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
I would say go with the winterforce. I bought them because they are also mud rated, they do quite well offroad. I've had them in about every offroad situation imaginable, and while they are not quite as good as the Grabbers on dry rock and sand, they do very well. The Geolanders would be a good substitute/replacement for your all seasons. The winterforce will really excel if you want them for winter use + offroad.
+1 I use the winterforce in 215/65/16 and they're amazing in just about every condition. However if you get them studded be careful on wet roads, studs just can't get great grip on wet pavement. I really liked them on gravel roads, they're a relatively "squishy" tire, so on dirt trails and such they're surprisingly comfy! They also seem to last forever, I've used them for 2 winters already and they're not even half worn, however a good majority of my studs are gone at this point, I'll be pulling the rest out before I put the tires on for the winter.

·
Registered
03 Forester XS
124 Posts
So you use 215/65/16 on the forester? Is that ok to use these as i thought that it should only be 215/60-R16?

I did call several Firestone shops and strangely each one of them quoted me a different price for the same tiers (215/60-R16).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts