Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
08 Impreza WRX 5 speed manual
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all, im new to the forum, but not new to the forester, got a 07 Blue 2.5xT(gunna throw some pics up tomorrow after I get out of school, and clean her up!) But in the mean time, heres the story.
My friend decided to go through a ditch in his 86 22r toyota pickup, and it turned out to be ALOT deeper then he thought, and buried it. They spent 30 mins trying to get a S-10 to pull it out, and it wasn't working, so they called me and asked if I could come give it a try so, sure enough I went for it.
He was stuck in a ditch to my driver's side, and the ring in the back is on the passenger side so.. well.. go figure, loool, luckily it didn't throw me in the ditch with him, rofl.
(youtube is under maintenance right now so I just threw the link that I uploaded to tinypic.)

Forester,Tow,Failed,07 Pictures, Forester,Tow,Failed,07 Images, Forester,Tow,Failed,07 Photos, Forester,Tow,Failed,07 Videos - Video - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting
(ignore the ignorant kid jumping up and down randomly and getting all hyper-active in the camera, its my friends lil brother, rofl)
lmao.

(This is the only pic I have atm, soaked my iPhone with all my pictures on it ;[ so the only picture that survived was this one I took next to my friends Impreza STi. I have big plans, but not sure on what to start with, I found a set of STi forester seats front and rear for only $400 w/shipping!)

Btw nice to meet everyone!!!
-Tj:biggrin:

·
Registered
2008 Forester XT Limited
1,956 Posts
(ignore the ignorant kid jumping up and down randomly and getting all hyper-active in the camera, its my friends lil brother, rofl)
lmao.

That kid has ADD. :rock::Banane36::Banane35::starwars::Banane17::mob::woohoo::rock::puke::Banane37::bananapartyhat::N_poke::icon_cool::huh::icon_question::Banane35::Banane36:

·
Registered
2010 Forester X Limited
57 Posts
The thing about towing is that the vehicle that is pulling another car out of a ditch MUST be heavier.

When your on dirt,mud, or grass. Its always the heavier car that wins when it comes to towing. Also, you have to factor in the car being towed and its position. For example, the 86 Toyota trucks had an all metal body so they are heavy. Add that its stuck in a ditch and you require even more towing power to get the truck out.

After seeing the specs for my own 2010 forester, I know that I can no longer pull out vehicles that I was easily able to do in my 1995 4runner. Also, almost every old and new forester I have seen have a very low duty tow loop. I would never attempt to try and pull something using that as it would probably warp or rip off.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just go on ebay, search Forester STi seats in the search, and you'll see. The set I found for only $365 with shipping is gone! :( but theres a set for $600, and a set of just the fronts for $400.. I knew I shoulda jumped on that offer when I seen it! :(

·
Registered
2011 LGT
478 Posts
Yeah those are for the early 99-02 Forester's. You should see the seats for the 04-08 Foresters. That is the one I'm looking for but now that I have been waiting for so long I don't think I need them any more.

·
Registered
9 Posts
lol yea, it really is a waiting game, and when they are there, they go so fast you dont even have a chance to get in on the deal. lol

And yea, it whipped fast, before I could even put on the brakes it slid far, I thought for sure at first, I was gunna be goin in the ditch with about 2ft deep of muck in which case, the forester woulda been pretty much ****** interior wise.

·
Casper reincarnated
2,272 Posts
That guy jumping around like a jack in the box won't be jumping too much longer if he keeps standing near a tow rope/cable like that as he will be injured sooner than later if it ever snaps.

Towing and snatching is no laughing matter and a lot of people and vehicles are damaged by people not planning the tow properly.

Tragic end to footy break Tasmania News - The Mercury - The Voice of Tasmania

P.S. That eyelet/ring where you had the rope tied too is not meant for towing on the Forester, it is a tie down point for transporting only, it can tear away quite easily and injure a bystander or even the driver of the car be pulled out of the bog.

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,409 Posts
Peter, you are absolutely correct. That was exactly what I was thinking when watching that video (among other things...)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Damn that sucks, but yea, I told him not to stand real close, but hey hes a idiot, what can I do? I'm not gunna not help my friend get out of the ditch just cause this hyper kid can't follow directions. but anyways thanks for letting me know about the ring in the back. Although I have towed someone 100 miles with that ring, it held just fine. But I dunno. I just know I don't wanna get hurt, nor do I wanna get any of my friends hurt.

·
Casper reincarnated
2,272 Posts
Damn that sucks, but yea, I told him not to stand real close, but hey hes a idiot, what can I do? I'm not gunna not help my friend get out of the ditch just cause this hyper kid can't follow directions. but anyways thanks for letting me know about the ring in the back. Although I have towed someone 100 miles with that ring, it held just fine. But I dunno. I just know I don't wanna get hurt, nor do I wanna get any of my friends hurt.
Get under and check your tie downs closely for any signs of cracking.

We can buy bolt on tow hooks down here which will allow you to tow and snatch a lot safer than using the OEM tie down hooks.

Tow Point Brackets

Town Point Brackets - fitted.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No cracking, just checked, now the only thing im wondering is where can I get a set of those at, I would def like to jump on that.

·
Casper reincarnated
2,272 Posts
You can get them (same place the pics come from) from SubaXtreme here in Australia, look under Accessories > Tow Hooks. Pricing here.

Your local Forum member carljwnc or some other handyman with access to the right gear might even be able to turn out something along the same lines as these without infringing copyright, if there is one for these.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts