Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2004 XT AT
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see on Subaru UK's site that the Tribeca is coming later this year. I wonder how it will fare against the more established SUVs.

Looks like 3.0H6 engine only and 5AT only. I don't see how Subaru think they can compete in the SUV market in Europe without a diesel engine and a manual gearbox option.

-- Steve

·
Registered
1998 Forester "S" lifted. Bog-o-matic
2,006 Posts
sahunt said:
I don't see how Subaru think they can compete in the SUV market in Europe without a diesel engine and a manual gearbox option.

-- Steve

:wink:

Not sure on the manual though.

·
Sydney Dinner Organiser
MY05 XT luxury
1,694 Posts
There are rumours its coming to Australia as well.
This means its going to be made in RHD.

Id also heard that Subi Australia was worried about bringing in a US build car as it probably wont be up to the Japanese build quality.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
dicknose said:
There are rumours its coming to Australia as well.
This means its going to be made in RHD.

Id also heard that Subi Australia was worried about bringing in a US build car as it probably wont be up to the Japanese build quality.
The U.S built cars have actually been quite reliable (especially the six cylinder vehicles, damn what an engine!). Pretty sure we can thank the lack of a union involvement for that :wink: . Also the SIA (Subaru Indiana Assembly plant) is a zero waste facility. It is so clean it is actually listed as an animal sanctuary!! :Banane01: :clap1: :clap1:

·
Sydney Dinner Organiser
MY05 XT luxury
1,694 Posts
Reliable is not the same as build quality.
Something can be reliable but still have poor quality fit and finish or poor paintwork etc.
Id read a review of the US build vehicles that said quality wasnt up to that of Japan, but its hard to know if the review has a bias.

And Subaru are not the only company with this problem. Heck even BMW sells vehicles made in South Africa and the quality of those is not up to that of other models.

The problem for Subaru is that this model is aimed to be top of the range, not bottom of the range. So quality could be a big issue, especially in markets that are probably used to a generally higher quality finish.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
dicknose said:
Reliable is not the same as build quality.
Something can be reliable but still have poor quality fit and finish or poor paintwork etc.
Id read a review of the US build vehicles that said quality wasnt up to that of Japan, but its hard to know if the review has a bias.

And Subaru are not the only company with this problem. Heck even BMW sells vehicles made in South Africa and the quality of those is not up to that of other models.

The problem for Subaru is that this model is aimed to be top of the range, not bottom of the range. So quality could be a big issue, especially in markets that are probably used to a generally higher quality finish.
Ahh,

I see what you mean.

U.S built models seem to be less creaky and have less chips (in my experience) than the Japanese built models. It could be that the Legacy/Outback/Tribeca models are the top of the Subaru line-up though.

If the Japanese build quality is good enough for you guys, the U.S build quality will be just fine :wink:

BTW I think that article was in general and not Subaru specific.

I should be going down to the SIA plant this summer, I'll make sure to take lots of pics.

·
Sydney Dinner Organiser
MY05 XT luxury
1,694 Posts
No the article I read was about Subaru and the Tribeca specifically.
But as I said, its hard to know how much was just a "Japanese-good, Yank-bad" bias.

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,441 Posts
Since we gave you guys the tribeca I believe the forester STI would be an equal trade

American Vehicles are decent (although debated here)

My friends got a ford explorer, he beats the crap out of that thing, going 50, putting it in first, using 4wheel LOW racing/ umm.. what else.. Redlining the car everytime

No trans noise

No engine noise

Runs like a charm with 182k miles

1 - 8 of 8 Posts