Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
05 Forester XT Mt
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently purchased a few one piece fishing rods the longest is 7'"2 and I am looking at having to use my snowboard rack to transport them. I would like to find a way to keep them inside, has any one made something that might work for this. Just real quickly I had three bungee cords across the roof liner attached to grab handles one above the front seat the rear seat and the last one across the child safety system in the roof, but they kind of bounced around more then I wanted. I might make a trip to harbor freight for some inspirational ideas. Let me know what you have done or think would work.

·
Registered
2004 fxt A/T
2,567 Posts
Skip harbor freight and pick up some four or six inch pvc depending on how many rods you want to carry at once. Cap the front of the pipe and put a clean out on the back for easy access. Wrap all the rods together with towels or line the inside of the pipe with foam. Then it is easy to strap it to the roof rack, I would look at an electricians or plumbers van for inspiration since it is extremely common. Almost all of the guides I knew from back home used the pvc pipe since a 6" pipe will hold two 9' fly rods with reels attached. This is very important for fly fishing guides who want to change spots on the fly and not have to break their rods down during transit.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
376 Posts
My brother picked up one of these and I believe it's called "the airliner" because he would fly with his gear and it kept it safe and wasn't quite as heavy or bulky as the PVC equivalent is lockable and has a handle for easier carrying to and from baggage, good luck.

·
Registered
05 Forester XT Mt
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have all of my two piece poles in the PVC DIY tubes, they fit in the hatch i just think that a 7 1/2 foot PVC tube inside the car is not that safe. I think that I am just going to have to give up the idea of being able to keep the rods in the car while in transport to my destination, and drive around with look a like rocket boosters on the roof of the forester.

I think that this is a real rocket:shake:

·
Registered
13 Forester XT 4EAT
4,167 Posts
Gotta go roof mount. I haven't gone long distances with it, but I use the Subaru ski rack and cross bars. They worked perfectly and they lock! But if you're going on the highway, you should have something that holds them. I would just make sure it's somehow secured to the cross bars better than bungie or something like that so they don't turn into spears if you stop short get into a fender bender.

·
Registered
2003 2.5X MT
116 Posts
They sell little magnetic rod holders that have a magnet that clips on to your car, and then a little plastic clip to hold the rod in place. I bet you could use some tape and secure the magnetic side to the lights on the inside of the car and carry it under the roof. Keeps it out of the way, and inside.

·
Registered
2000 s mt
1,661 Posts
On short trips I have rod holders for the roof. But I don't like keeping it up there around town. My buddys st. Croix rod and reel was stolen right off my roof at a crowded fishing spot. So other than that I keep it on bungees suspended from handles and child seat anchor point in the roof. I use the velco one wrap things you use for extention cords and the like to Keep the rods from bouncing around. 2 velcro wraps and they don't rock or bounce. I've gotten up to 10 rods and reels in my car with this set up with no tangling or issues.

2003 X pacifica blue pearl UEL Headers SPT Sent on my Samsung Intercept.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts