Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Yorkshireman, not a DUDE!
2011 Mitsi RA Sportback SST
2,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Son has a gearbox failure on his Seat Ibiza TDI. Local garage near his RAF base in Suffolk have quoted a silly price for a replacement and are trying to sell him a new clutch as well.
How do I go about getting his immobile car transported from Suffolk to the East Midlands ?
I believe it is towable but that is one long trip !!!!
AA have already Relayed him from Plymouth ( where it broke) to Suffolk but I am just thinking about getting the car here so my trusted garage can do the job.
Any idea what a car transporter might charge for the trip ? I don't suppose I can hire a self -drive can I ?????
Any ideas, alternatives much appreciated.

Cheers
Brian

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
2015 Triumph Tiger XCx 1 Down. 5 Up.
5,242 Posts
Pretty sure you'd be able to hire a car trailer.... many places do them for track day car owners that don't have their own. Of course that assumes you have a car with a tow bar(?)

·
Registered
2006 Fsti 6mt
110 Posts
Start an account on shipply and let them bid. Had a car shipped from Staffordshire to immingham for 200£ and the bidding started at 400£ so i was Happy.

·
Registered
2006 Sold
1,012 Posts
If AA relayed him back to Suffolk, would they not now relay the car to a garage? My parents were in a similar situation years ago when they broke down in Devon. They were brought home with the car to Kent (due to the mileage two drivers were involved and so they had to swap off one truck on to another midway so it was truly a relay) and the car was then picked up a few days later and taken to the local main dealer.

·
2,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers all.
I can hire a Transit type transporter for £98 for a day to self drive but have to collect from depot some 20mls away.
Son has had a quote from AA (they brought him from Plymouth to garage of choice so won't do another freebie) to bring the car here for £200.
I will give him the Shipply details and see what comes from that.
No tow bar on my car and he knows no one with one.
Told him to get busy with google/yellow pages.

Thanks all.

Brian.

·
2,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I used ship thing t get a price to get the forester too foresters, worked well for me
AA say £200. First quote from Shiply this evening is £156 which is a good start.
Self drive is cheap at first glance but add in fuel and time and getting to and from depot then £156 or possibly less looks much more promising.

And Carnetix can do the job at half the price from what he has been quoted !!!

Cheers
Brian.

·
2,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just a 'thank you' to all who offered advice/web links etc, son has used the Shiply website and his car will be here by the weekend to start repairs.
Cheers
Brian.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts