Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a Forester 2010. I found I can't use remote key to unlock the door if the car has started.

It's very cold in winter. I usually start the car, lock the door, then come back to home. After few minutes, the car become warm. but this time I could not open the door using transmitter.

How about yours?

Thanks

·
Registered
2017 Forester Premium
3,096 Posts
How do you start it with the key? With the remote start if i start it from in the house and let it warn up , when I go out to car the key fob will unlock the doors for me.

·
Registered
2003 Subaru Forester XS
167 Posts
I've modified my 03 Forester XS to lock and unlock when its running, there is two lock/unlock circuits on the key less entry, i'm gonna do a write up on it tomorrow with pics! Oh, it also it gets rid of the double click to unlock all doors :)

·
Registered
2009 Forester (MT)
226 Posts
I just bought a Forester 2010. I found I can't use remote key to unlock the door if the car has started.

It's very cold in winter. I usually start the car, lock the door, then come back to home. After few minutes, the car become warm. but this time I could not open the door using transmitter.

How about yours?

Thanks
Are you locking your Forester as follows?

You lock all the doors with the electric button on the door (motor running, key in the ignition), then you unlock the driver's door with the manual button on the door, open the door, then lock the door with the manual button, and finally shut the door.

At least the 2009 Forester can't be locked once the motor is running unless you can lock the doors as I indicated above. In this case, you can use the key to unlock the door.

Now, if you have a remote starter and start the motor that way, you can lock/unlock the doors with the remotes.

·
Registered
2017 Forester Premium
3,096 Posts
Thats good to hear that you cant physically lock yourself out of the car once the cars running. I did that once in a Mazda truck at a car wash what a pain in the rump

·
Administrator
2016 & 2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,623 Posts
It's even more than just when the car is running. The remote will not work when there's a key in the ignition, on or off. And yes, you can lock yourself out by leaving the key there and using the inside lock button as you leave the car. Even a second remote won't let you back in. You need a second key. I know.

A mod to disable this would be nice. Thanks, bonevvladimir. (But I don't want to get rid of the double push feature! That's my friend if I ever park in a not-so-nice part of town and don't want to acquire an uninvited guest. And also a subject of endless, irresolvable, pro-con discussion here!)

·
Registered
2009 Forester (MT)
226 Posts
It's even more than just when the car is running. The remote will not work when there's a key in the ignition, on or off. And yes, you can lock yourself out by leaving the key there and using the inside lock button as you leave the car. Even a second remote won't let you back in. You need a second key. I know.

A mod to disable this would be nice. Thanks, bonevvladimir. (But I don't want to get rid of the double push feature! That's my friend if I ever park in a not-so-nice part of town and don't want to acquire an uninvited guest. And also a subject of endless, irresolvable, pro-con discussion here!)
Yes, the double-push feature is a good one in relation to safety.

·
Registered
2009 Forester (MT)
226 Posts
Thats good to hear that you cant physically lock yourself out of the car once the cars running. I did that once in a Mazda truck at a car wash what a pain in the rump
Yes, I don't mind that feature on the Forester. My wife has a Susuki Sidekick, and the alarm can automatically lock you out even with the keys in the ignition switch. I have been very lucky a couple of times to have a spare key in my pants pockets. Now we always leave the alarm off :biggrin:

·
Registered
2010 Forester
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've modified my 03 Forester XS to lock and unlock when its running, there is two lock/unlock circuits on the key less entry, i'm gonna do a write up on it tomorrow with pics! Oh, it also it gets rid of the double click to unlock all doors :)
Thank you and waiting for you:Banane17:

·
Registered
2007 Mitsubishi Pajero 5spd Automatic
3,572 Posts
Hmm, I would also like to be able to use the remote while the car is running.
Also it's bothering me that I actually need the remote to open the car. The key unlocks the car alright, but the alarm goes off as soon as I open the door.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How do you start it with the key? With the remote start if i start it from in the house and let it warn up , when I go out to car the key fob will unlock the doors for me.
I don't have remote starter. I seprate my key and transmitter

·
Registered
2010 Forester
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Are you locking your Forester as follows?

You lock all the doors with the electric button on the door (motor running, key in the ignition), then you unlock the driver's door with the manual button on the door, open the door, then lock the door with the manual button, and finally shut the door.

At least the 2009 Forester can't be locked once the motor is running unless you can lock the doors as I indicated above. In this case, you can use the key to unlock the door.

Now, if you have a remote starter and start the motor that way, you can lock/unlock the doors with the remotes.
Yes, I locked the car as you said. Probably I need install a remote starter.

·
Registered
2009 Forester (MT)
226 Posts
Yes, I locked the car as you said. Probably I need install a remote starter.
No. I didn't say that you have to install a remote starter. All I said is that not being able to open the door with the remote is a normal function as long as the key is in the ignition switch, or if the motor is running.

In other words, if the motor is running you have to use the key to open the door because the remote won't work. Just make sure that you have another key to open the door when you return. However, with the remote starter you can warm the engine without having to use the key to start the motor, and then you can use the remote (the one you now have) to unlock the doors (the remote always works as long as there is no a key in the ignition switch).
-------
Subaru is just trying to prevent you from locking the key inside the car. It's not a good idea to start the car with the key and leave it running, since anybody can break the window and drive it away.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
34 Posts
So is there any documented way of fixing this? It's kind of annoying that you can't use the fob to lock/unlock when it's running but you can use the door controls to lock yourself out. I just ran into this last night. I started my car to warm up, running upstairs wanting to lock it with my separate fob and it doesn't work.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts