Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester X Limited 4 spd auto
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems my one year review was a little premature.

Drove about 160 km away yesterday, no problems ... (7.4 l/100km!) then parked overnight 14C during the day, 8 overnight, 17 in the underground parking. Came out of underground parking up a fairly steep ramp. Drove locally in the town I was in for about 5 km no problem. Parked for 2 hours (flat about 12C) Drove another 5km, parked for another hour, then set out for home.

Strange thuds started.

Thuds occur on gear changes from the auto tranny. Mostly on the upshifts.

The downshifts weren't "smooth", but no actual "thud". Then for a few minutes the upshifts were as if the clutch were depressed on a manual (engine sped up significantly, then dropped back into hear.

This went on for the few miles out of town. Checked the fluid level ... no apparent problem, and there were no leaks on the ground anywhere I'd parked and there was no evidence of tranny slip when properly engaged.

So, I stopped one final time to decide whether to try to carry on home or whether to get it towed. Again, checked fluid ... seemed OK. Headed out of town, OK. Next place I had to slow down about 20 km up the road, no more clunks! And it behaved ALL the way home.

17,000 km on the clock.

Doesn't make sense. Any ideas before I call the dealer tomorrow?

The gremlins came out in abundance :mob:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Checked fluid level 3 times and no problems.

Also, there's no evidence of fluid leaks, so where did it go if it did go low?

And why would it decide to start working again?

Is it POSSIBLE that an excess amount flowed into the torque convertor when we went up the car park ramp and then gradually worked its way back out?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dealer says "Don't know what happened - heard of it happening before but impossible to diagnose unless the AT throws a code, or it's actively doing it". I think when he does the next oil change if I hear any symptom of it again, I'll ask him to replace the at fluid and check for any metallic content in the old.

·
Premium Member
2014 328i xDrive Wagon 8 spd Auto
1,975 Posts
Is the fluid still a nice red color, and does it smell all right?

On both our 08 OB's the fluid had started to turn color by 15k miles, although after I did the drain and fill as part of the 15k maint, both AT's looked fine at 30k.

If you're worried about something starting to chew itself up in there, Blackstone does UOA on AT fluid as well. Might be worth it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Weirdest problem ... it appears and goes away at random. In the process, it left a tidbit of information for the dealer to half ignore. P0712 AT Fluid Temp Sensor Voltage Too Low.

One time when it did this it actually threw dash lights ...

AT FLUID TOO HOT
ASC OFF
ABS FAILURE

What's with those????

Putting it into stick mode when this happens reveals that at least sometimes it is in limphome mode ... it won't go into 4th gear! But that changes by itself.

So, they unplugged connectors and plugged them back in ... of course it wouldn't do it while with the dealer! So, I'm left with it back and to contact them as soon as it does it again and they'll drop the tranny pan and check the sensor.

I hate gremlin type bugs!

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Weirdest problem ... it appears and goes away at random. In the process, it left a tidbit of information for the dealer to half ignore. P0712 AT Fluid Temp Sensor Voltage Too Low.

AT FLUID TOO HOT
ASC OFF
ABS FAILURE

What's with those????

Putting it into stick mode when this happens reveals that at least sometimes it is in limphome mode ... it won't go into 4th gear! But that changes by itself.

So, they unplugged connectors and plugged them back in ... of course it wouldn't do it while with the dealer! So, I'm left with it back and to contact them as soon as it does it again and they'll drop the tranny pan and check the sensor.

I hate gremlin type bugs!
Possibly the AT temp sensor is bad? If the fluid is not up to temp (or it thinks its not up to temp) the shifts will be very hard and it won't allow it to shift up into 4th.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
2 Posts

AT FLUID TOO HOT
ASC OFF
ABS FAILURE

What's with those????

Our 2010 did the same thing at about 200 miles on the odometer. Miscellaneous thumps and knocks from transmission and AT oil temp on and blinking, stability control and ABS lights on.

Took the dealer a week to diagnose after test drives (~200 miles driven by dealer). Computer did not record codes. Finally they got it to repeat with the diagnostics hooked up. Final result was "high resistance" in the transmission control harness. Replaced and we are at 2000 on odometer now with no further problems. I know the dealer talked with Subaru to figure out problem.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks ... I'll mention that to the dealer if and when I take it back!

·
Registered
2007 Forester 2.5X AT
27 Posts
I've had this same sort of problem on my 07 for a while now. Starting at about 20,000 miles, it would upshift really harsh (1 to 2 and 2 to 3) when it was cold outside. It almost feels like running over a pot hole. After a few cycles of upshifts, it would start to smooth out. I also notice a shift flare occuring just before it clunks into gear. It has 65K on it now and still basically does the same thing. I'm hoping I can nurse it along with frequent fluid drain and fills, but my gut tells me the transmission is dying. Dissapointing.

·
Registered
2002 Forester
292 Posts
I've had this same sort of problem on my 07 for a while now. Starting at about 20,000 miles, it would upshift really harsh (1 to 2 and 2 to 3) when it was cold outside. It almost feels like running over a pot hole. After a few cycles of upshifts, it would start to smooth out. I also notice a shift flare occuring just before it clunks into gear. It has 65K on it now and still basically does the same thing. I'm hoping I can nurse it along with frequent fluid drain and fills, but my gut tells me the transmission is dying. Dissapointing.

Sounds to me like it has high transmission oil pressure when cold. I'm not convinced that this is a bad thing. Transmission oil is thicker when it's cold and it is probably tying to compensate for that by bootsing the pressure when cold.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, 2 months later and it hasn't happened again. Just for saying that you can bet your bottom dollar it will magically appear again!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Knew it would start misbehaving again! Nearly a year and a half later!!!!

ATF TOO HOT flashing
ABS
ASC

Thump thump thump gear changes ... limited to 3rd when it happens.

Then magically with the lights aglow if fixes itself and changes gears fine and 4th comes back, but the lights stay on.

Still no burnt smell from the tranny ... fluid level good.

Time to hit the dealer again. This has to be a silly electrical problem ... such as a bad connector.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts