Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a brand new 2006 2.5x auto trans that has a problem. One night I was backing out of my driveway and heard a loud metallic noise which I wasn't able to isolate but I'm pretty sure it wasn't coming directly from the motor. I put the car in drive and drove and the noise continued for a few hundred yards. Was about to pull over and call the Sub 800 number since brand new but the noise went away. It was similar to a noise like if the breaks were worn.

Now what happens intermittently is when I'm taking off from a stop it seems like the transmission is slipping a bit since I don't know if the differential could cause this or not. This happens on dry or wet streets so I don't know if ABS would cause a problem like this. The problem is it happens so infrequently that I can only hope it gets worse so I can take it to the dealer. I did take it to the dealer to have it checked and they said it was fine.

I can't believe its normal for the trans to slip or even the differential if that is what it is since I have not owned an AWD vehicle before.

This is real frustrating since I have been very gentle with the car.Now when I accelerate I have to push the pedal gently so it won't slip and cause further damage. Otherwise the car is great.

Sound familiar?

·
Administrator
14,797 Posts
Steve said:
Now when I accelerate I have to push the pedal gently so it won't slip and cause further damage.
WRONG! Stress it and make it break then they'll have to fix it :lol:

Seriously, something's not right. With AWD etc you should get immediate take up and not experience any slip. Maybe try another dealer?

D

·
0 Posts
I would set up an appointment if I were you, you could be causing further damage by driving it around.

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
You should be able to floor it and minimal slip beyond the first few yards of movement. Only an improperly functioning diff or trans could cause this.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts