Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2010 FXT Auto4
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having my transmission rebuilt and was wondering what upgrades I should do to handle the power increase iI have done to it?The gears seem to be fine.

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,242 Posts
The gears will be the first thing to go. Why are you rebuilding?

·
Registered
2010 FXT Auto4
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The main shaft is wearing they said it go any time.They said that there weren't any used ones around.I'll have a better idea what parts are worn once they break it down?

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,242 Posts
The main shaft is wearing?? WHAT? Who did you take it to? You can't see any part of the main shaft with the transmission in the car.

Sounds like someone is taking you for a ride. "It could go any time" sounds like "The rent is due next week..."

·
Registered
2010 FXT Auto4
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know much about transmissions but think they are making their analysis on the noise it's making.This is the 3rd place that looked at my problem.The first independant Subaru rerpair shop said input shaf,the next Subaru dealer said maybe pinion gears and this Subaru only repair shop which has been around for a long time 10yrs. plus.I relly think that they won't know exactly what the problem is until tear it down and inspect the parts

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,073 Posts
.... "It could go any time" sounds like "The rent is due next week..."
Another way of looking at that is, "I don't want to tell this guy it will go for many more miles before it will fail, then have it break when he leaves our driveway"

As some one who has done their time in a shop, you should know this is typically just another way for the mechanic to say "your guess is as good as mine".

No one wants their mechanic to tell them "your guess is as good as mine", not when they are paying the mechanic to tell them that.

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,242 Posts
I'd be MIGHTY surprised if the input shaft is worn.

The front bearing might have gotten toasted, if you allowed for low fluid levels, but a "worn" input shaft that "could go any time" is pretty unlikely. What part would wear?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts