Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I dunno if what I'm experiencing is normal or not, as I've only had my Fozzy a few days.

Its a 04MY 5 speed manual thats done 12000 miles, about 14months old. And to me the gearstick seems to give off a few vibes when I hold it. Its not noisey or anything its just the vibrations I can feel thru the stick. Not only that but the transmission seems to be whiney at low speed round town driving. Maybe I'm listening too hard.

Now my last car gave no vibes thru the gearstick, but that was a totally different car, a Mini Cooper!

Is this normal sort of stuff or should I be concerned about something.

Thanks
Mick

BTW: The car is great, and gives no problems shifting or anything.

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
Sounds normal to me. The whine is pretty common to Subies. I don't suggest you keep your hand on the shifter unless you're shifting though.

·
Premium Member
2012 GTI DSG 6-speed
1,463 Posts
Your other car probably used cables for the shifter mechanism. They transmit less vibration and "feel."

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reassurance :)

Its nice to know its normal. Other than the car ever so slightly driving to the left, I'm very happy with the Forester. The dealer is having a look at the tracking, wheel alignment in a couple of weeks.

Mick

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
Another issue you may notice eventually is the difficulty in shifting to first when moving. There's really no need to shift to first above 5-10 MPH anyways with our gearing. But when you're in stop and go, the need does arise occasionally and by rev-matching or blipping the throttle before you engage first you'll find it slips right in. Double clutching and rev-matching makes it even easier. It's just the crappy synchros that SOA uses. Same goes for reverse from a STOP.

·
Official sf.org decal guy
2006 FXT
12,367 Posts
I am getting a vibration in the gear shifter as well as the steering wheel only mine occurs at about 75mph and 3250Rpms. It is feels like the front wheels are slightly out of balence but when I press the clutch in the vibration goes away. It either seems to be transmission realated of engine related. Anyone else have this issue? I just picked up my 06 XT and it has about 120miles.

Thanks,
Todd

1 - 6 of 6 Posts