Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2001 forester
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 01 forester L with a manual transmission. When I take off in 1st gear I get a wobble in the drive shaft at 10mph, then it goes away. I can shif into to all other gear from then on fine and nothing else seems to be wrong. I tried to see if the car would do it in first gear from 20mph and down, letting engine braking slow me down; the wobble noise does not appear this way. It only appear when I accelerate through first get at 10 mph. I think it might be the rear transmission mount. Anyone have any other idea's???? Much appriciated

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,073 Posts
I would look at the hanger bearing. In the middle of the drive shaft. Also look for a bad u-joint. Those two are what I would say are the most common causes of a drive shaft vibration under acceleration in a Subaru.

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,039 Posts
I've had several Forester MTs but none too high mileage and not had a wobble like that. In addition to mounts you should also check out the driveshaft center bearing for looseness or play. My plan on my current 2004 MT is to get a 1-piece driveshaft made from my current one when it gets say 150-175,000 mi if I haven't had any issues by then.

Subaru replacement driveshafts can get expensive and you never know if one from a junkyard would be bent or last that much longer than the one you are replacing.

I've never tried to replace the "non-replaceable" u-joints in a Subaru driveshaft but have done so in other cars with success. I came across this place on a forum or something but I have not used them yet. I plan on using them when I have to go 1-piece.
Staked-In U-Joints

There are some places catering more to racers that sell 1-piece driveshafts already made; I believe many are aluminum. I've seen this place mentioned but have again never contacted them.
The Driveshaft Shop | 2010 Website Coming Soon

As for the center bearing you might be able to replace just the bearing, but I don't know if it is feasible on a Subaru or not. Even if you replace the bearing the rubber in the mount would eventually rot. I have done this in a Toyota before and gotten a bearing from an industrial bearing house like Dixie Bearings.

·
Registered
2001 Forester S
9 Posts
Hi I also have a 2001 forester L 5sp with same problem How did you solve it?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts