Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Forester
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my fiance started hearing a "helicopter" noise coming from her Forester only at certain times while driving her 2010 manual with 7500 miles on it. I took the car for an afternoon and could not reproduce this "helicopter" noise she spoke of....

The vehicle was taken to the dealership, which we bought it, soon after to get things figured out. The service department said they thought it was a clutch bearing and they would get back to me on what they found. About 4 days went by and I had heard nothing. I was in town (we live in the high country) and thought I would stop by and see what the situation was regarding the car. When I told the service department person my name, it was as if the music stopped playing in a bar, crickets began chirping and all eyes in the room were locked upon me. "You have to talk to Mr. X" I was told....

Mr. X came out and began by stating that "we have never seen this before"....not a good sign for me, he then led me back to the garage where on a shrine of a table laid the entire transmission from our brand new car. Teeth on the gears destroyed, shavings of metal laid in a clump in the corner of every compartment, the AWD mechanism was locked and would not turn, nor engage and a piece of metal the size of a pen that had mysteriously come from "somewhere" yet they were not sure where, laid in front of this disaster as the culprit.

Now, I understand that it was all covered under warranty, that's all fine and dandy but REALLY? What the hell happened? No one could explain this to me... The car has never been stuck and my fiance drives like a grandma.... How on earth could this have happened?

We eventually got a new transmission, and they also found out that the car was mis-aligned when sold to us so the front tires were shot, gave us 4 new tires under warranty.

Has this happened to anyone else? Should I look into the Lemon Laws for NC deeper? Just throwing this out there to see what fellow members think....

We love our Foresters, just a little scorn recently.... :confused::icon_frown:

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,039 Posts
Yikes!

Don't know details of lemon law, but you may want to check into the fine print. I think you either have to have a certain number of documented issues or they have to be more than a certain value of the car?

google sure turns up lots of lawyers. :icon_frown:
This at least mentions the statute number you may want to follow up more on that?
North Carolina Lemon Law

It seems like the dealer is trying to do you right by giving brand new tranny and tires. Also, they didn't try to band-aid it or string you along for a month or something either.

Sounds like an internal part either came loose or disintegrated causing the rest of the damage.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts