Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester x premium AT
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello ,

Did lot of research on forums for the error codes I am getting for my recently purchased forester 09 AT (149 k miles) and came up with some conclusions . Please help me if any one of you gone through same situation .

Issues- Every morning I am getting very hard thump from shifting through gears almost like you are getting rear ended , when this happen first time whole dashboard lit up . Steady Check Engine light , AT Oil Temp flashing , ABS flashing , Vehicle dynamics and cruse control lights came on . I know Vehicle dynamics control and Cruse control light will appear with check engine light so not worried about it . Now If I pull over after couple of miles and stop the car and turn off and on the ignition AT Oil Temp light and ABS light goes away and seems like after warming up car runs fine . If I do same after 10-15 mile car shifts smooth like nothing has happen.

These are the code with my bluetooth OBDII scanner -
P0715 Power train Input/ Turbine speed sensor Circuit
P0732 Power train Gear 2 Incorrect ratio
P0733 Power train Gear 2 Incorrect ratio

How I end up with this issue-

During buying this car I did notice oil leak at driver front side from rubber tubing , didn’t know that was transmission cooler lines , dealer told me its very small fix and he will do it for me with in week .Drove car for a week with no issues , work got post ponded to next week . Mean while I changed rear rotors and breaks with genuine parts , car did not ran for 3 days , when I tried to start the car battery was dead
I jump started the car to test breaks and same morning CEL flashed.

What I have done so far -

After checking code I first check transmission oil sure enough it way below cold low , so immediately added Subaru ATF-HP one quart to get upto level . Drove car to nearest Midas auto center to get tranny line fixed they replace hoses and found metal lines are rusted and leaking . Which they fix it by cutting little bit of metal line and extending rubber line this stopped leak completely.

Next I started with Tranny fluid change by my self. Replaced 4 quarts so far , planning to do next cycle this weekend if wether permits . About 4 quart fluid came out was black and smelling . I put about 100 miles after changing fluid can ran little bit file for a day later showed same behavior.

Next steps I have planned :

1. Drain and add tranny fluid two more times
2. Check battery voltage and alternetor - (outback forum says could be a weak battery , can cause electric parts in tranny to not work properly )
3. Check Input turbine sensor and wiring ? I don’t know exactly where it’s located
4. Set up freeSSM get more details

Sorry about long post , making sure I covered everything

-Vimaan

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update -

Drain and fill another 4 quart of ATF , still getting black fluid out of tranny , car showed no improvement , still AT Oil light Temp flashes and getting car stuck in 3rd gear when engine cold. Ran car for 5 minutes turn off ignition turn back on and car runs fine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did 3 rd round of drain and fill today , will see if it makes any difference in morning. Not able to check battery yet my multimeter broke :(

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
3 drain and fill did not made any difference car is getting stuck (may be in limp mode ) when it's time to change to 4 gear , even when I slow down and stop it still shows 3 on dash in manual mode.

Checked the battery was showing 12.50 V after 30 min drive . Did not drove car for couple days and showed 12.25 V in morning was able to start fine though.

Hoping to get cable that I ordered for freeSSM this weekend so will have more updates.

Overall do not have good feeling about tranny may need major repair or replacement possibly ? Any one has estimate on it ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got cable for freeSSM today in the mail hooked up to a computer noticed..

1. Reconfirmed all transmission code mentioned in post 1
2. Noticed turbine revolution speed was not matching to RPM till AT Oil temp hit 55degree Celcius. After that car was able to shift in 4th and both RPM and turbine speed was close and the car was shifting better
3. showed minimum battery volt 7 V ??? while starting. I did check battery by hooking up a multimeter to battery terminal it never dropped down below 10V . car starts fine.

anyone knows the part no for the input shaft speed sensor? and location on the tranny?

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Eliminated bad battery out of equation by swapping my 2013 Cammry battery in , symtoms are still same, so no more battery issue.

I am able to locate the Torque Converter Turbine Speed sensor biggest culprit for this code . Looks like it's not straight forward deal as lot of post mentioned on internet. To replace this sensor entire harness need to be replace which consist of 3 sensors and couple of connector to be hooked inside Tranny and will require to drop oil pan :( . Seems like doable job but I don't have garage to do this kind of stuff and it's already snowing here in new england :(.

Added images of Transmission wire harness just for an idea , notice how rear speed sensor has a socket and other don't , Wish all were same which would have make job easy. Looks like it

Schedule appointment with subaru authorized dealer figures crossed .

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Subaru Dealer confirmed issue with speed sensor and will need to change entire harness $ 650 , if that doesn't fixes it replace refurbished transmission $ 2300 :(

showed to Amoco Transmission shop as well they confirmed issue in transmission and need to be rebuild surprisingly gave me same estimate $ 2300 :(

Anyone know what it would cost just for labor to swap with refurbished one ? in local garage , I have seen some junk yard carries transmission as low 300 - 400 ? is it worth doing that ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Sounds like issue and error code is pretty rare based response I got here :) so concluding this thread with what i have to do fix the issue. Hopefully this will be helpful to someone .

Ended up swapping with used transmission. Found 110k mile used transmission on car-parts.com have them to deliver to Aamco and they replaced it for me . (took 2 weeks and lots of follow up) . Car shifting fine as it should , however Aamco return car with different code (O2 sensor related ) and leaking exhaust ... damm Aamco, story for sometime later ..

Cost break down :
$200 Transmission
$650 Labor
$70 ATF fluid

1 - 10 of 10 Posts