Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2009 forester
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 automatic XT subaru Forrester.
I accidentally drained the transmission fluid instead of the oil.
So, i bought auto tranny fluid from the subaru shop. Well i was misinformed in filling the tranny from the top where the dip stick is, because it quickly filled up.
I later found out there is a fill plug above the drain plug.
I'm not sure what to do with the overfilled tranny fluid at the dip stick?
Please help.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Where is this fill plug? In the front there are 2 dipsticks. The one on the passenger side is front diff which uses 75w90 and on the drivers side is the ATF dipstick for the AT. Its tucked back in the engine bay below the intercooler and somewhat under the brake booster.

·
Registered
2009 forester
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where is this fill plug? In the front there are 2 dipsticks. The one on the passenger side is front diff which uses 75w90 and on the drivers side is the ATF dipstick for the AT. Its tucked back in the engine bay below the intercooler and somewhat under the brake booster.
Ok that is the problem. I filled it in the passenger side. So Any ideas how i can fix this? :eek:
I need to dump it out and fill that with the correct oil.
Thanks for the quick reply by the way

·
Registered
2009 forester
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On the manual it says there is a fill plug above the drain plug. But i just looked and don't see the fill plug like in the picture.
So i guess i do fill in the dip stick, but i just did the wrong one.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
On the manual it says there is a fill plug above the drain plug. But i just looked and don't see the fill plug like in the picture.
So i guess i do fill in the dip stick, but i just did the wrong one.
The rear diff has fill and drain plugs.

To drain the front diff theres a T70 torx plug in the metal front diff housing which is between the engine pan and the transmission pan. Hopefully someone has a picture or diagram, I'm not on my home computer or I'd post some diagrams from the service manual.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,154 Posts
Yea..if you did in fact drain the ATF it is filled at the dipstick on the driver's side. It should be about 6 ounces short of a gallon that you drained, if the vehicle was level.

Remember you need to check with the engine running after putting it through all of the gears. Read up in the manual.

·
Registered
2008 Forester X Auto
187 Posts
The front diff uses a Torx T-70 (looks like a star) but I've read in other posts that a Torx T-60 can be used (carefully) if you can't find a T-70. There is a copper washer that I've reused in the past if you can't get a new one.

The front diff takes about 1.2 quarts of GL-5 spec 75-90 gear oil.

As for the auto trans that you accidentally drained. I've drained and filled mine several times over the last couple years and I've always measured what came out. Each time just about 3.5-3.8 quarts came out. I would start by putting 3.5 quarts of ATF in. You'll quickly find (if you haven't already) getting an accurate reading on the trans dipstick is pretty difficult.

Your transmission should require Subaru ATF-HP (check the owner's manual). The dealer tried to put regular Subaru Dexron III in mine after some transmission work. Even the parts guy told me Dex III until I showed them the owner's manual. I would make sure you have the correct trans fluid.

I've attached pages from the '08 service manual, but yours should be similar.

Good luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
2009 forester
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The front diff uses a Torx T-70 (looks like a star) but I've read in other posts that a Torx T-60 can be used (carefully) if you can't find a T-70. There is a copper washer that I've reused in the past if you can't get a new one.

The front diff takes about 1.2 quarts of GL-5 spec 75-90 gear oil.

As for the auto trans that you accidentally drained. I've drained and filled mine several times over the last couple years and I've always measured what came out. Each time just about 3.5-3.8 quarts came out. I would start by putting 3.5 quarts of ATF in. You'll quickly find (if you haven't already) getting an accurate reading on the trans dipstick is pretty difficult.

Your transmission should require Subaru ATF-HP (check the owner's manual). The dealer tried to put regular Subaru Dexron III in mine after some transmission work. Even the parts guy told me Dex III until I showed them the owner's manual. I would make sure you have the correct trans fluid.

I've attached pages from the '08 service manual, but yours should be similar.

Good luck.
Hey Chilly you speak of the front differential. How do i know if i need to do the rear or front? I filled through the dip stick on the passenger side

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Hey Chilly you speak of the front differential. How do i know if i need to do the rear or front? I filled through the dip stick on the passenger side
The rear is at the back of the car with its own separate drain and fill plugs. Front and rear diff fluid should be changed around every 15-30k in my opinion.

Sorry but honestly before doing work on your car you should learn about it and how it works and learn how to do the work you plan on performing. Read up on here, scoobymods, and maybe get a haynes or similar manual to look through.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sorry but honestly before doing work on your car you should learn about it and how it works and learn how to do the work you plan on performing. Read up on here, scoobymods, and maybe get a haynes or similar manual to look through.
Have to agree here. Your oil change that would have cost, what, $30 at the dealer, is going to end up costing you a lot more than that.

Oh, good luck getting the diff drain plug out. Those things are tight.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts