Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Forester
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 forester X and i'm considering changing the AT fluid using the drain/refill method 3 or 4 times as part of my 30,000 service. My manual says use Dexron III but I see that many newer subarus(5 speed AT) call for the special subaru ATF-HP which I assume is better. Even though my manual states DEXRON III, I would like to go with the best. Can I mix the ATF-HP with the dexron III that is currently in there now until it is evetually replaced with ATF-HP using the cycled drain/refill method. I understand its impossible to completely get rid of all the old fluid with this method but just wanted to understand if these both fluids are compatible.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,503 Posts
Can I mix the ATF-HP with the dexron III that is currently in there now until it is evetually replaced with ATF-HP using the cycled drain/refill method.
Yes. And I prefer this method. I have seen bad things happen with flushes. Not that its frequent but I have seen it. That's just me though.

·
Registered
2005 Forester
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have read some threads indicating that flushing the transmission has caused damage, but doesn't subaru flush all cars as part of their recommended service. Since i'll be changing transmission fluid types (DEXRON III to ATF-HP) maybe it makes sense to heave the dealer perform a flush just to ensure all the old fluid is purged. I han then go to the cycled drain/refill method therafter as needed. Does anyone know what the dealer typically charges for a transmission flush? I like many others are unemployed at the moment and on a fairly tight budget. Also, if flushing really has been known to cause damage can you please elaborate.

Thanks All!

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,863 Posts
As part of an early 30K service, I had my '03 X & my '07 FSXT transmission flushed & refilled with Redline ATF last summer by my trusted Subaru dealership. Both shift much better & there have been "zero" problems. :wink:

The cost for the transmission service is around $100 (per vehicle), which I thought was reasonable. Don't forget to do the front & rear differentials (additional cost)! :wink:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Registered
2014 CVT
824 Posts
the problems that you hear about flushs are cars that do not have their first flush till 100k or more, a smart shop wont flush if the car has that many miles and its the first flush, and even with a flush your never going to get all the fluid out, again a good shop knows this

·
Registered
99 Forester
205 Posts
It's often the cleaning agents that some shops add to the flush that cause the problems. If you do use a flush make sure they only use ATF, no additives. I would stick with the drain and refill method as it's easy to do myself.

·
Registered
2005 Forester
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The transmission fluid looks very clean. I'll think i'll just drain what I can myself and refill with the same amount of DEXRON III as called for in my service manual. Then make this an annual ritual. Is the T70 torx needed to drain the ATF or is that just for the front differential? Also, If anyone knows where I can these tools give me a shout.

T70 Torx & 13mm drain plug square

PS .... I be changing the front & rear differential fluid with mobil 1 synthetic gear oil 75W-90 since i'm already going to be under the car.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,503 Posts
Torx T-70 for the front diff. If you drain the ATF with the car level. Not up on a ramp it takes about 6oz. under a gallon. Front diff is slightly over a quart. Rear is slightly under a quart. 2 quarts total works. T-70 at Autozone. In a pinch the 1/2" male drive works for the rear diff. Don't use an impact. Also you need leverage and a 18" breaker bar. You really need the rear up on a ramp to get leverage. It is tiiiiiiiight.

·
Registered
2005 Forester
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Went to the store looking for DEXRON III ATF fluid and was told it's no longer available and was replaced with DEXRON VI which is supposedly backwards compatible with DIII and highly improved. It says its for all GM vehicles and select imports but I cannot find anything saying it's specifically okay for a 2005 Forester X N/A. Can anyone verify if D-VI is okay?

·
Registered
2002 Forester
292 Posts
Went to the store looking for DEXRON III ATF fluid and was told it's no longer available and was replaced with DEXRON VI which is supposedly backwards compatible with DIII and highly improved. It says its for all GM vehicles and select imports but I cannot find anything saying it's specifically okay for a 2005 Forester X N/A. Can anyone verify if D-VI is okay?
Dexron 5 or 6 is perfectly fine. I've used it.

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT 4eat
4,583 Posts
Torx T-70 for the front diff. If you drain the ATF with the car level. Not up on a ramp it takes about 6oz. under a gallon. Front diff is slightly over a quart. Rear is slightly under a quart. 2 quarts total works. T-70 at Autozone. In a pinch the 1/2" male drive works for the rear diff. Don't use an impact. Also you need leverage and a 18" breaker bar. You really need the rear up on a ramp to get leverage. It is tiiiiiiiight.
What happens if you drain the ATF on a ramp? That's what I did last time, but the front of the car was pointing down my driveway so it was only a slight incline.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,503 Posts
What happens if you drain the ATF on a ramp? That's what I did last time, but the front of the car was pointing down my driveway so it was only a slight incline.
If its perfectly flat you will get 4 ounces short of a gallon. If you put it up on ramps (where the front is seriously elevated you will barely get 3 out of it. I would guess you will get close to a gallon out of it.

What I do now is put it up on ramps, loosen the plug and then take it off of ramps and remove the plug and drain it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts