Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Forester 2.5i 6mt
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After changing the transmission oil Manual transmission a few weeks later I checked the oil level it was low so added almost a quart, haven’t seen it go down since any body have had this experience?

·
Registered
2016 Forester 2.5i Tour.. 6spd MT
98 Posts
Do you remember how much new fluid you put in when you did the change? As long as you added the recommended amount it's strange that almost a liter of it would disappear with no obvious leaks. Did you measure how much of the old fluid came out?

·
Registered
2016 Forester 2.5i 6mt
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No I don’t know how much I put in nor how much came out, I changed the rear differential & transmission & engine oil at the same time, I put about 1/3 of a quart of I think it’s called liquid molly in the rear end & the rest in the transmission, then as it turns out the filler tube I found at Walmart would only work on the liquid molly bottle I had to pour the rest of the gear oil into the one bottle to service the transmission oil, I filled it through the dipstick tube for the front differential

·
Registered
98 Posts
As per the factory service manual the front transmission/diff share a fluid capacity of 3.3L or 3.5qt's. The rear diff capacity is 0.8L or 0.8qt's. If I read what you wrote correctly you used 1/3 of a quart in the rear and 2/3 of a quart in the front tranny/diff? If so then you under filled the front and that's why it read low and needed at least another quart.

·
Registered
2016 Forester 2.5i 6mt
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No I did what my wife calls starting in the middle of a sentence, I brought 4 quarts of GL-5 gear oil one of which was the molly lube from Napa, so like I said I put approximately 1/3 of a quart of the molly gear lube in the rear end & then finished filling the rear differential with GL-5 with a pump, then used a fill tube that I got from Walmart to put the rest of the molly gear lube in the transmission through the dipstick tube & then had to pour the other GL-5 into the molly gear lube bottle & poured it into the transmission through the dipstick tube checking it after pouring some in & it didn’t take as much as I thought it would but it was showing full on the dipstick & so like I said after I don’t know for sure how many miles I checked it & it was to the low mark so I filled it back up & it took almost a quart , but since then after driving for a few days probably about two weeks checking it quite often it hasn’t changed in level

·
Registered
2016 Forester 2.5i 6mt
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not worried just wondering if when I need to change the transmission oil again if you need to wait so long for the oil to transfer into the transmission or fill the transmission a different way?

·
Registered
98 Posts
According to the factory service manual you just drain and then fill via the dipstick tube. It doesn't mention anything about waiting a certain amount of time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts