Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
~ 07FXT ~
So the car has been leaking some red fluid from under the plastic cover underneath the car. And at the same time the power steering has been really jittery when Im in the driveway making turns at low speed. The Power steering fluid reservoir is full though.
I took off the plastic cover from under the car and it was loaded with fluid but I couldn't see where it was coming from. I pulled my battery because it was dead and looked around a little. There are 2 hard metal lines that run under the battery ( Pictured ) and they dip down by the radiator and connect to hose lines. I believe thats where the leak is coming from. Is this Trans fluid? Checking or adding to my trans fluid is a whole ordeal itself. I have a larger TMIC and have to pretty much remove it to get my arm down there to grab the dip stick and if the engine is hot, try not and melt my skin off. I guess Ill start with this hose connection first then go from there since I cant get to it with the battery in anyway. What is this hose called?

Attachments

·
Registered
2006 Forester
662 Posts
My automatic uses the same fluid for both the transmission and the power steering, so a leak of red-colored fluid could be either.

Have you noticed any decrease in volume from the tansmission fluid reservoir? And I know that checking fluid levels for the trans can be a PITA, but it needs done.

My power steering reservoir is on the passenger side behind the headlight, and I don't believe any lines go past the battery since it is on the driver's side behind that headlight. I'm not sure as I never traced my transmission fluid lines, but if there is no transmission fluid radiator the lines typically still run to the front of the car to act similar to a radiator and cool the fluid. You will want to trace these lines by your battery to see where they start/end.

But at this point, checking fluid levels is your best option to verify which is leaking. Good luck.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,848 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys.
It looks like its an ATF line. The power steering fluid is on the other side of the car and looks full. Im guessing after I fix this ATF line Im going to have to look into the power steering pump.

·
Registered
2010 Forester Premium X AT
1,000 Posts
Yup, you can clearly see that the connection band on the ATF cooler line is loose. Did you happen to have an ATF flush done? They sometimes use these lines and mess with the connections. You can probably just get away with replacing the $3 bands rather than messing with replacing the hoses (which are surprisingly expensive).

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The hose thats leaking might have gotten bumped around when I put a new radiator in.

As for the Power Steering pump, Is this something that I should go with the OEM or one of the aftermarket ones on rock auto?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts