Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Forester
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

My Transmission Fluid Dip Stick is stuck. I was wondering if anyone had any expereince in loosening it up so that I can check the fluids. The yellow handle on it is broken and pliers were unable loosen it up. I am not mechanically inclined, just would greatly appreciate tips on dislodging the dip stick or understanding what might be happening with it...

Thanks very much,

-Jim

·
Registered
2010 Forester
173 Posts
Can you get a pair of vice grips on the end and rotate it back and forth a bit before pulling it straight out? It could be that just the gasket is stuck to the dip tube if it hasn't been removed in a while.

·
Registered
1999 Forester
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can you get a pair of vice grips on the end and rotate it back and forth a bit before pulling it straight out? It could be that just the gasket is stuck to the dip tube if it hasn't been removed in a while.
Thanks for the suggestion. It just won't budge. I wonder if something has rusted together but am not sure of what the parts down there are made out of...it's at a difficult angle and have to reach through some rubber tubing that is in the way.

Maybe if I get some long swabs and swab WD-40?

Or maybe Coca-Cola?

I might try the Coca-Cola....

·
Registered
1999 Forester
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Learned that to put new Transmission fluid into the transmission, you have to go through the same avenue as the dip stick. I am going to take this over to the Dealership and see what they recommend. Thank for the input everyone has offered.

The position of the dip stick is beneath several rubber tubes and so it's very difficult to get at.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,583 Posts
I would have said to get a needle nose plier with a 90 Degree bend.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts